In this free video, I describe how I make one of my favorite paper and pencil activities into an interactive learning experience!
Using Place Value Detectives
, I’ll illustrate how I take printable pages and task cards and turn them into hands-on lessons that will hook your students’ attention and actively engage the entire class.
**This instructional demonstration also works perfectly with Decimal Detectives!
Learn more about Place Value Detectives here:
• Place Value Detectives includes15 higher order thinking puzzles designed to challenge and engage your high flyers and fast finishers. Your students will utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills while building a deep and solid understanding of place value. Each of the 15 activities offers an interesting, non-routine way to explore essential math concepts and skills.
• Each place value riddle provides a series of 5-6 mathematical clues. Students use the clues to determine the value of the mystery number. While the focus of each activity is place value, the 15 riddles include a variety of upper elementary math skills, concepts, and vocabulary to promote integrated learning and challenge. For example, riddle 2 reads:
• I am a five digit even number.
• All of my digits are factors of 24.
• 4/5 of my digits are even.
• The digit in my thousands place equals the perimeter of a 2 x 2 array.
• The digit in my ten thousands place is twice the value of the digit in the hundreds place, but half the value of the digit in the thousands place.
• The digit in my tens place equals the number of lines of symmetry in an isosceles triangle.
The focus is on place value, yet students also need to apply their understanding of fractions, factors, multiplication arrays, properties of 2D shapes, and academic math vocabulary in order to solve this riddle.
Let me know if you have any questions; I’d love to hear from you!
© Christy Howe 2016. Materials are intended for personal use in one classroom only. For use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses.
The clip art used in this video was designed by A Sketchy Guy
. Check out his store here.