This song uses audio, visual, and kinesthetic techniques to help children understand the meaning of numbers to 20. It teaches the following Common Core State Standards:
Compose and decompose numbers from 11 to 19 into ten ones and some further ones, e.g., by using objects or drawings, and record each composition or decomposition by a drawing or equation (such as 18 = 10 + 8); understand that these numbers are composed of ten ones and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine ones.
Write numbers from 0 to 20. Represent a number of objects with a written numeral 0-20 (with 0 representing a count of no objects).
Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones. Understand the following as special cases:
10 can be thought of as a bundle of ten ones — called a "ten."
The numbers from 11 to 19 are composed of a ten and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine ones.
Along with the video that streams from TpT, you'll get:
1. An illustrated lyrics page--Great for poetry or math notebooks.
2. A private link to the video on Vimeo--ONLY accessible to people who purchase the product on TpT. From Vimeo, you can stream, download, and embed the video--for classroom use only, please!
You can do several things to support learning as you play the video:
1. Ask two children to hold up their hands and act out the song as the video plays.
2. Children can point to either words or visuals of base 10 blocks on the accompanying lyrics sheet.
3. Ask children to point to hundreds charts.
4. Give children based tens blocks so that they can create the numbers.
5. Children can move beads on rekenreks (beads) to create the numbers.
6. Ask students to come up with other creative ways to show the numbers.
***Note that this is one of four songs that is SO important that I've included it in both my Kindergarten and First Grade math video bundles:
31-video "Common Core KinderMath" Kindergarten Math Videos Growing BUNDLE
38-video Common Core 1st Grade Math COMPLETE Set
You may also like:
Phonics Time COMPLETE Set
Poetry Songs and Videos--With Deedee Wills
Guided Reading Strategies and Activities (Including 8 Songs)--With Deanna Jump
I hope my materials make a great difference in your classroom!
Jenny from "EduTunes With Miss Jenny" on TpT