Place Value Centers is a packet of ten math centers to practice place value math skills. The place value activities can be used with the whole class and guided math groups or for individual practice. They also make great partner activities.
Use the place value centers to introduce new concepts or for practice and reinforcement of place value skills. They include many activities and opportunities for students to count groups of tens and ones.
Each of the place value centers has a description card and recording sheet(s). All place value centers have a challenge/extension activity, too. You may want to print the challenge activity on the back of the recording sheets or use them for early finishers or students who need additional practice or a challenge.
Choice pocket chart cards and a student Place Value Centers Menu are also included. The pocket chart cards can be placed on a pocket chart for student reference. I usually staple the student menus inside the students’ math folders.
Although the activities are intended for first grade, they can also be used for practice and reinforcement of place value skills for beginning second graders.
The place value centers include:
1. The Candy Machine - count the candy (11-19). Record the answers on the recording sheet by writing how many tens and how many left over. Write the numbers. Challenge - draw candy in the candy machines (11-19 candies). Ask a friend to count the candy and write how many tens and how many left over. He/she writes the totals in the circles.
2. Under the Big Top - count the place value rods. Find the matching amounts. Record the answers on the recording sheet by writing how many tens and ones and the total amounts. Challenge - draw rods and cubes in each box (11-99). Ask a friend to count them, write how many tens and how many left over, and write the numbers.
3. Up, Up, and Away! – count the sticks. Match the amounts to the expanded notation cards. Record the answers on the recording sheet by writing the expanded notation and totals. Challenge – write the totals from least to greatest.
4. Be a Superhero! - guess how many dots. Write the guess on the recording sheet. Count the dots. Find the matching number. Record the answers on the recording sheet. Challenge – write the expanded notation for each of the answers.
5. We Scream for Ice Cream! - count the place value rods and record the numbers. Write the less than (<), greater than (>), or equal sign in the circle between each set of numbers to make a true statement. Challenge - draw place value rods and cubes to make true statements for each of the given signs.
6. You’re a Star! - count and add the beads on the frames. Complete the equations on the recording sheet. Challenge - color a total of 9 or less tens and 9 or less ones for each problem. Ask a friend to count the beads and complete the equations.
7. A Trip to the Pet Shop - count the ten frame dots. Match the amounts to the numbers that show ten more. Record the answers on the recording sheet. Challenge – write the numbers that are 20 more than the dots on the ten frames.
8. Detective Files - count the place value rods and cubes. Match the amounts to the numbers that show ten less. Record the answers on the recording sheet. Challenge – write the numbers that are 20 less than the number of place value rods and cubes.
9. Popping Good Popcorn - add or subtract ten. Find the matching number. Write the equations on the recording sheet. Challenge – order the answers from least to greatest.
10. Fun on the Farm - answer the “What’s the number?” questions by matching the given number of tens and ones to the numbers. Record the numbers on the recording sheet. Challenge - Write a one digit number in each of the boxes. Have a friend solve the problems. Have him/her choose one of the problems and draw a model to show how he/she knows the answer is correct.
View the Preview
for a detailed look at what's included in the packet.
For more MATH CENTERS
Back to School Math Centers
Apple Math Centers
Fall Math Centers
Halloween Math Centers
Winter Math Centers
Christmas Math Centers
Valentine's Day Math Centers
April Math Centers
Earth Day Math Centers
Rainforest Math Centers
Lemonade Math Centers
Click on Follow Me
to follow my store for updates and new products. You can find it under my store name.
Thank you for visiting my store!
First Grade Schoolhouse
Key search terms:
Place value | Place value centers | Place value activities | Place value math centers | Place value printables | Place value worksheets | Place value common core | Place value tens and ones | Place value comparing | Place value addition | Place value expanded notation | Place value first grade | Place value homeschool