Beginning of the Year
First Grade Place Value Math Centers
Place Value Practice
First Grade Math Centers: Number of the Day gives your students a lot of practice working with numbers, representation and relationships. All students need daily practice working with numbers to effectively develop their number sense.
The first grade beginning of the year centers include:
1. Place Value Puzzles:
Number, counting and tally marks.
2. Draw It! Draw the number
Choose a number. Draw how many.
3. Order It! (Three different options for differentiation)
1) Three Number Puzzles
2) Four card number least to greatest
3) Four card number greatest to least
4. Number Lines
Complete the number lines.
5. More or Less: (Four options for differentiation)
Four spinners include:
1 more, 1 less, 2 more, 2 less, 3 more
Pick a number, spin an operation, record the answer
All of the Number of the Day Centers use the same numbers that are part of the Number of the Day units - important for practice and re-enforcement of number sense.
I have just introduced these math centers to go along with may daily Number of the Day units. This is the first in a series of math center units that will coordinate with my monthly Number of the Day units for K-Third Grade.
The whole year bundle will be coming soon!!
Number of the Day Math Center practice includes:
**Counting forward from the number (K.CC.1)
**Writing Numbers (K.CC.1)
**Representing numbers through pictures (K.CC.B.4)
**Counting on to add (1.OA.C.5)
**One more, one less, two more, two less (1.NBT.4)
**Number Line Completion (K.CC.1 and 1.NBT.1.A)
This unit is aligned with the Kindergarten and First Grade Common Core Math Standards, and includes five math centers. I use these centers as part of my guided math rotations.
Number of the Day units for the year of first grade:
And find other First Grade Units here:
I use ‘guided math’ in my classroom. I begin my teaching time teaching/spiraling math concepts as a whole group, but most of my math block is devoted to guided practice in small groups followed by independent or small group practice, centers and intervention. I begin my math time every day with a page from my popular Number of the Day series. You may find more math in this “printable” format in my store.
I hope that you and your kids enjoy this fun back-to-school resource. Check back soon. I continue to add Number of the Day units daily!
Try this great Counting and Number Line unit:
Check out these units in the Number of the Day Series:
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. You will now receive email updates about my store.