Who are BFFs?
Using a vertical number line, students decide cooperatively whether or not the number--(Blue Friend) rounds up towards Red Friend or down towards Green Friend. (See below on details of how to play!)
Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
Use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers to any place
Die, Vertical Number Line Game Board, Blue Friend Cards, Dry Erase Marker, Two Record Sheets
Number of Players: 2 Players
How to Play:
1) Decide who will be a High Friend (RED FRIEND) and who will be Low Friend (GREEN FRIEND). Have a seat facing each other with Record Sheets ready.
2) Shuffle and draw a Blue Friend Card
3) Roll the die once. Write the number of the die in the white box on the Blue Friend Card using a dry erase marker.
4) Using a dry erase marker, the Green Friend will write down the Low Rounding Number on the Vertical Number Line Game Board and the Red Friend will write down the High Rounding Number on the Vertical Number Line Game Board box. Both players will decide the Yellow Friend Number together (Mid Rounding Number)
5) Both players will decide who Blue Friend Card is closer to on the vertical number line. If Blue Friend is closer to Red Friend, then Red Friend will be able to take and keep the card. Record the rounded number on the Record Sheet.
6) Complete the sentence: ___________rounds up/down to ____________.
7) Erase the Vertical Line Game Board and repeat!