Once students have some conceptual understanding of place value, they can use this understanding to identify the values within 2 and 3 digit numbers. This Google Slides® resource is for students to practice identifying the value of digits in 2 and 3 digit numbers by representing the number in expanded form, word form, base 10 blocks, and base 10 units.
WHY TEACH PLACE VALUE?
Place value is our system of expressing quantities in an efficient manner. Our place value system uses base 10. Each shift to the left increases values by ten times. Each shift to the right decreases values by one-tenth. We write the numbers using what is termed as the standard form. Understanding place value is key to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing.
HOW IT WORKS
The Google Slides practice is divided into 5 parts based on the Depth of Knowledge levels. The types of tasks involved in the slides support the Standards for Mathematical Practice.
- In Part 1 and 2, DOK 1, students practice identifying digit value using base 10 blocks, expanded form, word form, and base 10 units.
- In Part 3, DOK 2, students pick a number based on certain parameters to then represent that number in 4 different ways.
- In Part 4, DOK 2/3, students solve place value riddles and explain how they know possible number answers.
- In Part 5, DOK 3, students are presented with 5 situations based on place value in which they have to problem solve and explain.
The question stems for Part 5 are modeled after the sample questions for Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium assessment given to third-grade students.
On some slides, students drag objects or duplicate objects to construct a model. On all slides, students will enter text into text boxes.
Parts 1, 2, and 3 have a video link to provide more information and instruction. Links are provided to YouTube Videos. You must have access to YouTube.
Part 4 has a link to an online place value game. The game was tested and found to work both on desktop and tablets.
SUPPORT FOR STUDENTS
All the slides provide more instructions and more information to the student in the SPEAKER NOTES section of each slide (similar to the Presenter's Notes area in PowerPoint).
The first 2 slides prepare students by explaining the basic Google Slides functions of duplicating, entering text, and using links.
There are separate versions of the Google Slides for 2 digits and 3 digits. Both have similar formats.
It is suggested that the teacher provide base 10 manipulative blocks (real or paper versions) for students to use as a math tool.
SUPPORT FOR THE TEACHER
The PDF ReadMe File includes instructions and information pertinent to:
• moving the Google Slides® file to your Google Drive®
• assigning the file in Google Classroom® (with a video link on how to set up Google Classroom®)
• using Google Classroom®
• using Google Slides®
• how to use the slides for productive struggle
• how to have students share and explain their work
• a list of the slides included and their content
• an answer key
• a printable scoring guide
• PDF ReadMe File to the link for Google Slides®
• PDF Copy of each slide for reference
• PDF Printable Copy of the Speaker Notes for reference
• PDF Instructions on how to move Google Slides® to other platforms (NearPod®, SeeSaw®, etc.)
What are some advantages of going PAPERLESS with a digital resource?
→ with Google Classroom, you can view your students work live from your computer or device
→ students turn in work digitally for you to grade
→ students can log in at home or anywhere to complete assignments
→ students utilize 21st-century learning tools
→ students prepare for similar tasks they will encounter with online standardized tests
→ student motivation is high
→ replaces traditional paper/pencil tasks practice pages
→ promotes the 4Cs of Technology Integration: Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Creativity
♦ Be sure to click on the green ★ to follow me for updates and new product announcements!
♦ Do you need some fresh ideas and tips? Then visit My BLOG
♦ Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly!
♦ If you have any questions or concerns, go ahead and contact me through the Q & A and I’ll get back to you ASAP!