Thank you for purchasing the Plan A Trip to Idaho Project Based Learning Activity. This hand-on and independent project combines geography, literacy, and math in a truly engaging activity that your students will love from the moment they begin.
Throughout the project, students are tasked with planning a class trip to the state of Idaho. Students will:
- Do general background research on the state
- Choose 5 attractions for the class to visit (a list is given, but students are free to choose ones not on the list as well)
- Fill out a profile on each attraction that is chosen
- Calculate the cost for the entire class to visit each attraction
- Calculate the distance between each attraction and each of the other attractions
- Determine the shortest possible route to visit all 5 attractions
- Calculate the cost of gas for the trip based on the trip route (involves division and multiplication)
- Map the attractions and trip route
- OPTIONAL activity includes creating a postcard based upon one of the attractions
Included in this packet you will find a 27 page independent learning guide that will walk your students through the steps to complete this project. This guide is meant to make the project more student-led, with little to no teacher interaction as it is completed. There are 11 steps to complete the project and each is carefully spelled out in an easy to read font, complete with illustrations.
You will also find a set of reproducibles to create a comprehensive 17 page guide in which your students show their work and present the trip they’ve planned. The reproducibles include:
- Trip Cover
- State Fact Sheet
- Attraction Choices
- Attraction Profile (each student will need 5)
- Attraction Cost (each student will need 5)
- Attraction Distances
- Trip Route
- Gas Cost for Trip
- Attraction Map
- OPTIONAL Postcard Activity
Your student has a clear and concise space to plan their trip, and in the end they will have a beautiful project to show for it.
I want implementation to be as easy as possible. I have included a 7 page “Teacher Tips” guide with tips and tricks for printing, setting up in your classroom, and additional resources such as book suggestions so that your students truly get the most from this project. Each section of this project- the Independent Learning Guide, Teacher Tips, Reproducibles, and Optional Extension Activity- is organized within a separate section of this portfolio PDF. This means that is simple to just print and go!
Thank you once again for your interest in the Plan A Trip to Idaho Project Based Learning Activity. I am confident that you and your students will enjoy this activity as much as I do.
Certified Teacher and Home Educator