How many times have you wished you had a knockout set of lesson plans at-the-ready for days when emergencies, an illness, or workshops keep you out of the classroom? The last thing we want to do when we're sick or busy handling emergencies is worry about preparing a full day of plans.
"Plan in a Can" for grades 4-5 saves you all of the time you'd spend prepping for a sub, and includes everything you need to ensure that your students spend their day engaged in MEANINGFUL learning activities.
Everything you need (including CLEARLY WRITTEN SUB PLANS) for 5+ hours of lessons and activities is included in this packet. Print, copy, done.
You don't need to plan an absence to make use of the great lessons in "Plan in a Can"! This packet includes many printables and activities that can be used over and over again.
Check out the 6-page preview for an excerpt from "The Story of Hot Chocolate", "Fall Festival Math", printables, and more!
Here's what inside:
Activities have a subtle Fall/Winter theme, but can be used any time of year.
1. Fall Festival Math Practice: a double-sided Fall-themed review of word problems featuring fractions, percents, fraction addition, multiplication with decimals, perimeter, and division.
2. Independent Book Response: a set of multi-use, thoughtful prompts for responding to chapter books (uses skills like summarizing, prediction, using text evidence to support answers, and personal reflection).
3. Secret Code Math: Students complete multiplication and division problems (numbers under 100) to crack a secret code and reveal the punchlines to silly jokes.
4. Reading Passage with Comprehension Questions: "The Story of Hot Chocolate": a fun, 800-word non-fiction reading passage on the history of hot chocolate, plus short-answer comprehension questions.
5. ABC Chart: a multi-use graphic organizer for use with any content-area reading material of your choice (Science, Social Studies, Health, etc.).
6. Sentence Scramble: Students hone their skills at organizing information and comprehending reading by "unscrambling" sentences in a three-paragraph essay about hedgehogs!
7. Spelling List: A 15-word list of grade-appropriate, commonly misspelled words.
8. "Monkey on My Back" Spelling Practice: Students practice their Spelling words with partners, using a fun, original game.
9. Four pages of helpful forms for substitutes, including templates for important information on students' medical conditions, schedule, discipline plan, end-of-day procedures, and more.
10. A "Copy Room Quick Guide" for when you're really in a pinch and need someone else to make copies for you (or just want to stay extra-organized).
If you're planning an absence (or just want lots of fresh and fun materials), give yourself the gift of time and peace of mind that your plans are already ready--just open a "Plan in a Can"!