PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This STEAM project guides students through their research of the planets, sun, and moon and displays their learning in an attractive & surprising way! Fact Fans integrate reading, writing, and science, which both saves time and engages students. This project is ideal for practicing note-taking, introducing research, for center work, fast finishers, independent projects, and as a supplement to your science unit on space and the solar system.
A list of Recommended Resources is provided to help guide teachers. Students can use the Recommended Resources to research and note-take on the provided sheets.
The process is simple!
- Students record their notes on the provided Note-taking Sheet.
-They edit their notes with the Student Editing Checklist.
- An answer key is provided so the information can be checked for accuracy before being published onto the fans.
- Students color the planets, record their information, cut out the fan, and hole-punch at the bottom.
- A metal brad through the circles completes the project.
- Also included are a Cover Page and Resources Page for students to practice citing their sources.
- When complete, students can use their completed Fact Fans to order the planets' distance from the sun.
For each planet, students must find:
- the distance from the sun
- the diameter
- the length of orbit
- the climate
- the history of the planet's name
- 3 interesting facts
For the sun, students must research:
- the length of time it takes for the sun's light to reach Earth
- the temperature of the sun's core
- the temperature of the sun's surface
For the moon, students must determine:
- how much of the moon we can see at one time, and why
- around what does the moon orbit and how long it takes
Answer keys included!
If you're planning a Space unit, consider including some fun Space-themed multiplication coloring sheets!
Like the Fact Fan format? Here are some more research based projects your students will love!