Planet and Solar System Research Report : Students LOVE studying about planets and the solar system! We have developed this 27 page fun and engaging report to have your students communicate or "show what they know" about planets and the solar system. This creative report template contains additional worksheets, organizers, tools and forms to use for your students to create, develop, write, edit, illustrate, present, and assess your students’ planet research report. This report (or performance task) is also designed to not only to learn and explain the new information, but answer some higher level thinking questions (Common Core Essential Questions) to apply the knowledge they have learned.
This report packaged is designed to have your students choose one planet to research and complete this report. You can decide whether or not to include Pluto as a dwarf planet, a planet, or omit depending on your current research.
A simple rubric and student checklist is included. You can also add to this report by asking your students to do a model, a large cookie, or a large poster to accompany this report (this would be appropriate also if you are using this as a performance task).
You can use this report template in its entirety, or “pick and choose” the questions that you wish to use and tailor it to your students’ needs. This package contains the following planet report elements:
1. Title Page- Templates Provided-Topic, student’s name, and teacher’s name) We created grayscale version if you can’t copy in color.
2. What is your planet and why did you choose it?
3. What does your planet’s name mean and who discovered your planet?
4. What number is your planet and how far is it from the sun (its position in the solar system) and how many moons does it have?
5. How long does it take your planet to travel around the sun (orbit) and what is your planet’s size?
6. Describe what is your planet made, what is its temperature, and what does it look like?
7. What if anything lives on your planet?
8. What are some interesting facts about your planet?
9. Compare and contrast your planet with another planet that interests you. What are their similarities and differences?
10. If you were to live on your planet, what would you need in order to live there successfully?
11. How long would it take astronauts to travel to your planet and what would they need to take with them to travel comfortably there?
12. Illustrate your planet by itself.
13. Illustrate the solar system and put an arrow pointing to your planet.
14. Blank paper to add to any of the questions if more room is needed.
15. Additional Information page for any other facts not discussed in other areas of the report if needed.
16. Ideas on how to research your report
17. Note taking bullet form template
18. Note taking lined form template
19. Resource pages and Bibliography Template
20. Student Checklist for editing and revising
21. Rubric for Performance Task Assessment
22. Common Core ELA Standard
23. Teacher Notes
If you like this product, please check back soon as we will be posting new products in the near future. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will promptly help you. Thank you!
The Teacher Team
Looking for a digital version of this product? Just click on the link below!
Google Interactive Digital! Planet Research Report
Here are some other items you may be interested in:
Planets-Solar System Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Human Body Systems Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Volcano Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Greek Mythology Mega-Bundle with Myths and Literacy Activities
Animal Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
State, President, and 13 Colonies 5th grade Social Studies Research Report Bundle
Animal Report Packet for Primary Grades
Biography Report Packet for Elementary Grades
Autobiography Report Packet for Elementary Grades
Weather Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
California Gold Rush Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
California Mission Unit ~ Close Reading ~ Text Dependent Questions
Country Report Packet
Volcano Research Report
Dinosaur Research Report
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. We value your feedback greatly as it helps us determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so we can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the red star
near the top of any page within our store and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. ☺
Copyright 2015 The Teacher Team
All Rights Reserved by Author
Permission to copy for single classroom use only
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only. Not for public display. Commercial License Number 1012173667“Graphics &/or Fonts Copyright Dianne J. Hook.” www.djinkers.com
Planets and space clipart by Winchester Lambourne. Please check out their store on TPT