Be the smartest teacher in school by implementing this relevant hands-on unit! Vacations don't have to always be for places far away. In reality, our own "backyards" offer many fun destinations to explore. The objective of this short unit is for students to plan a one-day road trip to one of Colorado's many places of attractions. Once the destination has been chosen from the provided list of over 40 Colorado attractions (or they can choose an attraction not listed - Colorado has many!) students will then start their research to find:
* the location, mileage, and route of travel
* the time needed for travel and itinerary plan of said trip
* the budget needed for gas and any admissions
Students will be exploring maps, charts and tables to locate the information. This is a great way for students to get hands-on experience learning basic skills they will use for the rest of their lives. This unit incorporates math, reading, geography, writing, and oral presentation to provide a well-balanced educational experience that is also purposeful and fun! Many of my students have actually used their unit to take their family to their day-cation destination.
Each lesson takes all the guesswork out for teachers and provides information, directions, and samples for every lesson.
After researching on the internet (or using travel brochures or books from your local Chamber of Commerce/public library/school library), students fill in their information on the provided outline for a quick presentation report. Another option is to use the provided blank stationary for a more open-ended approach to writing about their destination. My students have also presented their planned trip on a poster or in a flip book - the possibilities are many!
THis unit also works wonderfully for librarians who have 30-minute windows of time to work with students.
* 10 days of mini-lesson plans following the "I do," "We do," "You do" scaffold model
* Building background introductory chart
* Vocabulary Word Cards
* Maps, Tables, and Charts resources
* Directions for how to teach using the resources with examples
* Teacher chart for instructing students how to find mileage
* Teacher chart for introducing students on how to calculate estimated travel time
* Colorado Day-cation Requirement Checklist for students
* Colorado Day-cation Unit cover
* Day-cation Word bank handout
* 3 column chart for students to share destinations they have already been on
* Student handout listing 40 Destinations to Visit in Colorado
* Student handout to calculate day-cation distance and time of travel
* Cost of Gas Per Mile Calculating chart handout
* Destination Fun handout where students record in note form what they might see/do
and possible expenses
* Road Trip Packing handout and itinerary planner
* Colorado Day-cation report outline
* Stationary for extension writing and for illustration/diagram
***This product has 2 files - the first being the unit, and the second being the resources (maps and tables)*****
PLEASE, do not hesitate to contact me via TpT with any questions, comments, or suggestions about this product that will allow me to change/add/delete anything that will make this product better for kids!