This unit is great for anyone who teaches the life cycle of a plant! It includes many components to make this unit complete, or for you to mix and match with tried and true activities and assessments you may already have.
Note that although other life cycles are briefly mentioned in the presentation, this unit mainly focuses on the life cycle of a flowering plant!
The main topics covered in this unit are:
- the life cycle of a (flowering) plant
- basics of pollination (stamen and pistil are mentioned)
- basics of photosynthesis
This bundle includes the following products:
Plant Life cycle Assessments and Activities - Life Science Series
Plant Life Cycle Vocabulary Pack - Life Science Series
Plant Life Cycle Presentation - Life Science Series
Plant Life Cycle Interactive Notebook Science Series
**Please be sure to check out the PREVIEW file to see more!
of one of the activities from my other plant unit: Plants: Parts of a Plant - Fruit and Seed Observation Activity
with Full Color Photographs and Discussion Questions
♦ Two Individial Assessments
("daily grades") on the life cycle. Two styles cover this, one can be causual assessment, one could be quiz....however you want to use them!
♦TWO Interactive Notebook entries
with a spinner wheel to explain the steps of the life cycle (one with and one without descriptions so students can write them if needed), a photosynthesis diagram with cut outs, and a pollination "comic" strip. Includes two versions for each entry: a cloze reading passage for each or one with the words filled in. Each entry also has an extension question to get students to apply what they have learned. Could be used in a lap book or separately without a notebook!
♦ Life Cycle of a Plant Lab
In this lab I have included MANY variations to be sure you can choose what works best for your classroom. Whether you make your own growing lab (with my photo instructions) or you normally purchase a plant kit, there is something for everyone!
- Materials list, and step-by-step photo instructions on how to set up a self-watering life cycle lab right in your own classroom
- Information on the best seeds to use, and other options for quicker germination (The highest recommendation I give is purchasing Wisconsin "Fast Plants" - links included - because in 1 - 2 days your students will see the seedling, and in just 10 - 12 days flower buds will form!
- Several options for lighting and other variations for this lab
- TWO presentations with step by step photo instructions for your students on planting their seeds. One version is for my home made set up, the other is for the purchased kits that some schools use!
- Lab sheets for observing and measuring their plants
***Also, I included a blank lab sheet that can be used for any lab using the steps of the scientific method.
♦ Is a Bean A Seed? Lab
where students will attempt to germinate beans (dry beans). This is a simple lab that requires materials you probably have around your house/classroom!
- includes a lab sheet following the scientific method
♦ Bean Dissection Activity
that takes just dry beans that have been soaked overnight! After soaking the beans, students can "dissect" the beans to see the embryo inside.
- activity sheet for illustrations, labels, and questions included!
♦ TWO Writing Activities
- "I'm A Plant" narrative writing (students explain the steps of the life cycle of a plant from a first-person point of view - creative writing). This included a brainstorming sheet to get them started and lined writing paper with and without borders for their final products.
- Plant Life Cycle Expository Writing - Students explain the plant life cycle from start to finish. A brainstorming sheet is included as well as lined writing paper with and without borders for their final products.
♦ Plant Life Cycle Study "Fortune Teller"
also known as a "Cootie Catcher," this fun origami aid is great for studying vocabulary!
♦ Literary Links
which are book suggestions for this unit, and a suggestion to help with the creative narrative writing as well!
♦ Visual Vocabulary Word Wall Cards
including: plant, roots, stem, leaves, flower, fruit, seeds, carbon dioxide*, photosynthesis, pollination, reproduce, pollen, life cycle, germinate, seedling, pollinator, stamen, pistil, and embryo.
(All but the last seven words overlap with my Parts of a Plant unit, so note that if you purchase this! I did include a "quick print" guide for you if you do have both units and only want the new additions for printing!)
♦ Vocabulary Study Sheet
with and without definitions and visuals. That way, students can fill them in, or just use it as a study aid. (same words as the vocabulary wall - see above)
♦ Vocabulary 3 way (or 2 way) Matching Cards/Game
that is great for groups to match up when first learning the vocabulary, then use as a memory game as they learn more!
*Please note that the presentation is in PDF format, and can be viewed and advanced exactly like a PPT. Go to "View" > "Full Screen", and click to advance. Works with remotes too!
I hope you enjoy this item. If you have any questions, concerns or ideas for custom work, please contact me! Thanks and stop by again soon!
Visit my blog!
Visit me on Facebook!
Follow me on Pinterest!