Plant Transport Systems – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive presentation slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activity during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (xylem, phloem, and cambium).
• Explanation of roots, stems, and leaves
• Illustration of the transport system in a tree
• Xylem, phloem, and cambium with cross-section of woody and soft stems
• Showing the age of trees by observing rings of a tree
• 4 types of roots (taproot, aerial root, fibrous root, and prop root)
The last slides are white-background and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• This first activity has students complete a matching activity using the following vocabulary: xylem, leaves, roots, phloem, fibrous roots, prop roots, bark, taproot, cambium, stem, and aerial roots.
• The second activity is a seven item matching activity with vocabulary and descriptions of xylem, phloem, cambium, taproots, aerial roots, prop roots, and fibrous roots.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.