This beautifully designed Unit Study contains five weeks of literature rich activities designed for a parent and child or homeschool family. It could also be used in a preschool or early elementary classroom. Children will be responsible for growing their own plant, and through this real-life experience, learn about exactly what plants need to grow, and how important they are to our ecosystem.
Each activity is open-ended, with wiggle room to adjust it to your child’s level. Five subjects are covered – literature, science, math, nature, and art. Each individual activity should take around half an hour, although they can easily be shortened or lengthened.
By the end of the five weeks, children will have a good understanding of:
- What plants need to grow
- What seeds are, and why they are important
- What seeds and plants do, and how they play a part in the ecosystem
- How our food is grown
- Where fruits and vegetables come from, and what goes into growing them
- How the weather affects plants and our food
- What different plants are present around us
- The life cycle of plants and trees
- Five Weeks of Curriculum covering activities in Literature, Math, Science, Nature, and Art
- At Least Three Book Recommendations per Week
- Accompanying Worksheets
- Plant Journal to Accompany the Curriculum
- Extension Reading Suggestions