Plant and Animal Needs & Life Cycles Second Grade Science Unit NGSS
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This second grade plant and animal needs, life cycles and interdependence science bundle is a 3-week science resource carefully designed with literally everything you need to teach 2nd grade NGSS Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems and these standards: 2-LS2-1, 2-LS2-2, 2-LS4-1, K-2-ETS1-2,Price $24.00Original Price $30.00Save $6.00
- Teaching second grade science aligned the Next Generation Science Standards is quite challenging without quality resources to guide you. These in-depth units address all 2nd grade NGSS topics and enable you to plan and teach high-engagement, three-dimensional science lessons. The six units in this bPrice $87.00Original Price $108.00Save $21.00
This second grade Plant & Animal Needs & Life Cycles resource is a comprehensive 3-week science unit carefully designed with literally everything you need to teach NGSS and many state science standards all in one, in-depth resource.
It addresses NGSS Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems and these standards: 2-LS2-1, 2-LS2-2, 2-LS4-1, K-2-ETS1-2, K-2-ETS1-3. It includes 17 days of high interest, hands-on science lessons.
This unit is also available bundled with a digital version of the student activities and narrated audio lessons.
Lesson 1: Plant Life Cycle
Lesson 2: Plant Needs
Lesson 3: Animal Life Cycles
Lesson 4: Animal Needs
Lesson 5: Interdependence: Ways Plants Rely on Animals
Lesson 6: Interdependence: Ways Animals Rely on Plants
- Plant and animal interdependence
- Plant needs and their lifecycles
- Animal needs and their life cycles
- Seed dispersal
- Pollination and pollinators
- Parts of a seed, plant, and flower
Each ready to teach lesson comes with an in-depth instructional PowerPoint, detailed, scripted lesson plans, response journal activities, differentiated quizzes, hands-on investigations and simple lab activities that are actually do-able in your classroom.
The lessons also include vocabulary posters, guiding questions, and learning objectives display cards as well as related videos for each lesson. Literacy and math based science centers make it easy to integrate science and reinforce the lessons during other subjects.
Assessments are easy to differentiate using one of two quiz formats: the fill in the blank option or the short, written response format. At the end of the unit students are assessed with a comprehensive unit test.
- A complete Teacher’s Guide with a flexible 3-week Pacing Guide that can be shortened to fit your schedule
- 17 Days of detailed, scripted lesson plans.
- An in-depth Teaching PowerPoint with embedded videos
- 8 Hands-on lab investigations and STEM activities with guided lab procedures and step-by-step directions with photos.
- Essential questions posters and learning target cards
- Student science journal/workbook with follow-up practice pages for each lesson
- Science based reading passage
- Vocabulary cards + full page vocabulary posters
- Full page life cycle posters
- Quizzes for each lesson in 2 formats (short written response or fill in the blank) with answer keys
- Final unit test with optional pages for differentiation
- Answer keys
- Standards alignment pages for each lesson
- Teacher planning binder with cover and sections
- Videos for each lesson – You will need access to YouTube to view the videos.
- BONUS Bulletin board set
STEM Labs, Experiments and Investigations
Students explore the interdependence of plants and animals, plan and carry out simulations, build models, and conduct investigations in 8 high interest labs to answer these scientific questions:
- What’s Inside a Seed?
- Can Plants Grow Without Sunlight?
- How Does Water Move Through a Plant?
- What Care Do Animals Need?
- How Do Animals Move Seeds?
- Pollination Simulation: How Do Animals Help Plants Reproduce?
- Breathing Leaves: How Do Leaves Produce Oxygen?
5 Literacy and Math-Based Science Centers
Reinforce science content as students practice these literacy & math skills:
- Cause & Effect
- Organizing Data
- Sorting and Classifying
- Applying Vocabulary
- Math word problems using science content
This unit is also available in a yearlong bundle of 2nd grade science curriculum > >
*Please see the preview for details and pictures of all resources included in this unit.
for a list of materials needed to do the labs.
Note: This is a very large unit that downloads as a zipped (ZIP) folder with 5 separate files inside. You will need to “unzip” the folder to access and open the files correctly. for directions to open a ZIP file.
Around the Kampfire
to see all 3rd grade science units.
to see all 2nd grade science units
2nd grade science units available:
2nd grade DIGITAL units with audio lessons:
Related 2nd grade science readers & passages:
© Linda Kamp. This product may not be posted on a public website or shared Drive where others can download it. It may not be used on Outschool or any commercial teaching or tutoring platform. You may not translate or resell this resource.