These three quizzes were written to go along with my 97-slide PowerPoint called, “The Plant Kingdom: Introduction and Classification.”
In order to keep my students studying, I use these short quizzes to check for understanding (and for studying!) leading up to the day of the unit test.
This product contains 3 quizzes that can be used at various stages as the unit is being taught. I always break up the content into manageable amounts of study material and give my students several small quizzes on this material prior to the unit test. As a result, I now have three different quizzes that I use at different points of instruction. Some years, I might use all three of these quizzes, and other years I might only use one or two of them. I hope that you will find these helpful in your own instruction of this topic.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is included in my bundled complete unit plan which can be viewed here: The Plant Kingdom: Introduction and Classification. Complete Unit Bundle of Products.
These quizzes are suitable for students enrolled in a general biology or life science class in grades 7-12.
My quiz format consists of fill in the blank questions with a few short answer questions. Each quiz is accompanied by a complete answer key.
As stated, I use these as short daily quizzes, but they can also be used as homework assignments. They also make great study guides for the unit test.
Note: Please note that some of the diagrams used in this product are my own hand drawn diagrams. I find that diagrams of liverwort and moss life cycles are often overly complicated and I have drawn my own diagrams, life cycles, and flow charts to simplify this information for my students.
Quiz 1 has 35 questions and covers the following information:
1. Introduction to Plants: Importance of plants to life on Earth, definition of a plant.
2. Plant life cycle: Alternation of generations, sporophyte and gametophyte generations, haploid and diploid phases, the production of spores by meiosis, the production of gametes by mitosis.
3. The Transition of Plants to Land: The algae were the first plants on earth, evidence that algae are the ancestors to the land plants, advantages to a life on land, challenges to a life on land.
4. The four major groups of living land plants: Mosses and liverworts, ferns, gymnosperms, and angiosperms.
5. Traits of the True Land Plants: Alternation of generations, spores produced by sporangia, multicellular gametangia, apical meristems, vascular tissue, nonmotile gametes, root system, protection from dehydration.
6. Classification of Land Plants: Vascular and nonvascular land plants, bryophytes, tracheophytes, seedless plants, seed plants, gymnosperms, angiosperms, monocots and dicots.
Quiz 2 has 44 questions and covers the following information:
1. Bryophytes: Characteristics of bryophytes, examples of bryophytes, explanation of why the bryophytes are still tied to a watery existence, bryophytes are nonvascular plants, bryophytes have a dominant gametophyte generation.
2. Example: The Liverworts. Characteristics of liverworts, students will draw and label the structures of a liverwort, liverwort life cycle.
3. Example: The Mosses. Characteristics of mosses, students will draw and label the structures of a moss, moss life cycle.
Quiz 3 has 52 questions and covers the following information:
1. The Seedless Vascular Plants: The evolution of vascular tissue, the importance of xylem and phloem, why ferns are classified as seedless vascular plants.
2. Characteristics of ferns, students will draw and label the structures of a fern, fern life cycle.
3. The Seed Plants: Seed plants are the dominant plants on earth, two groups of seed plants, gymnosperms and angiosperms, the advantage of having a type of reproduction free from water, adaptations seen in the seed plants, cones and flowers, pollen, seeds, the evolution of seed plants.
4. Characteristics of gymnosperms.
5. Characteristics of angiosperms.
6. Comparison of monocots and dicots.
Please note: This product covers the content found in an introductory chapter on plants in a first year biology class. These topics are NOT included: (1) The specialized tissues of roots, stems, and leaves, (2) Plant reproduction, (3) Plant behavior and hormones.
Several formats are included for your convenience: doc, docx, and PDF.
You might also be interested in the following:
Introduction to Plants PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Plant Reproduction and Response Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Plant Structure and Function Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Lab: Diversity of the Plant Kingdom - A Living Plant Lab
Plant Evolution and Classification Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Introduction to the Plant Kingdom: Question and Answer Review PowerPoint
Intro to Plants Unit Test
Intro to Plant Kingdom Homework Packet / Study Guide
Intro to Plants Crossword Puzzles Set of 2
FREE Plant Kingdom Graphic Organizer
Lab: Mosses, Ferns and Liverworts
Lab: Transpiration in Plants
Amy Brown - Science Stuff
I hope that you will follow me at:
My TpT Store
Science Stuff Blog
My Facebook Page