Also included in
- This is a year-long bundle for 5th grade NGSS. This bundle covers all the standards for the year for fifth-grade NGSS. Save 20% by purchasing this bundle. These resources will engage students in hands-on lessons in the 5 E format. Get resources for science by someone that really understands the NexPrice $90.16Original Price $112.70Save $22.54
- This NGSS 5th-grade bundle covers the entire year of NGSS standards for fifth grade. This bundle also includes reading informational text units with a science theme. Purchase in the bundle and save 20%. You will love this great bundle for fifth-grade science. Get NGSS Resources from someone who undePrice $131.36Original Price $164.20Save $32.84
- 5th Grade Utah SEEd Bundle: This is a year's worth of lessons and units that address all of the Utah SEEd standards for 5th grade. Save 20% by purchasing together! You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? These units use phPrice $107.24Original Price $134.05Save $26.81
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 5th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 5th grade. Students will love these engaging activities for Utah SEEd 5th Grade. You will love saving time by having someone creating resources who reallyPrice $75.24Original Price $94.05Save $18.81
- NGSS Fifth Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 5th grade for the entire year. Each unit is complete and addresses a standard. You save 20% by purchasing this bundle for fifth-grade science. This year-long 5th-grade science bundle is outstanding!The following resources are inPrice $71.16Original Price $88.95Save $17.79
Students will investigate what plants need to grow. Students will make an argument that plants get the materials they need for growth chiefly from air and water.
Plants Unit for Upper Elementary. Students will learn that plants produce their own food through photosynthesis. Students will learn about a plant's needs. Students will love planning and conducting their own investigations on plants. This resource also addresses the scientific misconception that plants consume soil as food. Students will learn through fair tests that plants need air, sunlight, and water to grow. Students will learn how to conduct fair tests and investigations with controls and variables in this unit on plants
This unit begins with phenomena and students use science and engineering practices to investigate what plants need to grow.
This unit includes:
- two slide shows
- lab sheets
- response pages
- answer keys
This resource is designed for NGSS 5-LS1 From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes. This resource addresses the NGSS standard for 5th grade:
5-LS1-1. Support an argument that plants get the materials they need for growth chiefly from air and water.
Also addresses Utah SEEd 5.3.1
Construct an explanation supported by evidence that plants use air, water, and energy from sunlight to produce plant matter needed for growth. Emphasize photosynthesis at a conceptual level where plant matter comes mostly from air and water and not from the soil.
This resource addresses the following science concepts:
- Plants get the materials they need for growth from air and water
- How to set up an investigation
- Independent variables
- Dependent variables
- Controlled variables
- Fair Tests
- Photosynthesis (introduction)
- Interdependence of animals and plants
Students will use ALL Eight of the Science and Engineering Practices:
1. Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
2. Developing and using models
3. Planning and carrying out investigations
4. Analyzing and interpreting data
5. Using mathematics and computational thinking
6. Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
7. Engaging in argument from evidence
8. Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
Students will process their ideas in response pages and through interactive notebook flaps.
By Lynda R. Williams
Teaching Science With Lynda
If you have questions about my resources please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons. They are in ppt and pdf format.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
Please see my other NGSS resources: