Combine some Science with your Language Arts. This is a readers’ theater script
as well as 4 experiments explaining what a seed needs to grow and what each part of the plant does. The script is 4 pages with 8 parts and is particularly useful for early readers as it has parts suitable for Emergent and Transitional Readers as follows:
- High Emergent (roughly DRA 6-8): Rain
- Transitional (roughly DRA 10-12): Seed, Sun, Roots, Leaves
- High Transitional (roughly DRA 14-16): Soil, Stem, Narrator
There are also recording sheets with procedures for students to follow for 4 experiments
- Experiment 1: Put a stem in colored water
- Experiment 2: Take away the sun from one plant while keeping the control plant in the sun
- Experiment 3: Take away the water from one plant while giving water to the control plant
- Experiment 4: Take away the air from one plant while giving air to the control plant
The file also contains 9 full size images
one for each part in the script (sun, rain, soil, seed, roots, stem, leaves) and 2 narrator images (a boy and girl for students to choose from). They can be used as hats or signs around the reader’s neck to identify the part being read. They can also be used for follow-up activities such as giving an explanation in character or in creating a sequence of events for the growth of a plant and then filming it with student narration on an i-pad or similar recording device.
Other available Reader's Theatre you may be interested in:
Science Readers' Theater - Flowers
Fairy Tale Readers’ Theater for Grades 1 and 2
Reader's Theatre for Emergent Readers,
5 easier versions of the fairy tale scripts tailored towards DRA 2-6 reading levels.
Christmas Readers' Theater for Grades 1 and 2
Jack and the Beanstalk
Three Billy Goats Gruff
Halloween Reader's Theatre: Will I Ever be a Jack-O-Lantern?
Halloween Reader's Theatre: The Witch's House
St. Patrick's Day Readers' Theater: Leprechauns Looking for Gold
St. Patrick's Day Readers' Theater: The Other Side of the Rainbow