PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Fun Hands-On C-E-R! Student model different plate boundaries with edible ingredients and write a short CER about how the model is representative of the actual plate boundary. Included with the 3-page lab handout are pre-lab questions, step-by step easy to follow procedures for each type of boundary interaction, scaffolded claim, evidence, and reasoning writing activities, and a rubric.
· CER Lab Handout (Includes Pre-Lab and Rubric): 3 Pages
· ALTERNATIVE CER Lab Assignment (for Absent Students): 1 Page with Rubric
· Teacher Tips and Answer Key: 1 Page
· Real Photographs of Lab Tasks with Explanation and Enrichment: 1 Page
Students will model and complete a short CER on the following types of plate boundaries and geologic features:
· Oceanic-Oceanic Divergent Boundary (Sea-floor Spreading)
· Oceanic-Continental Convergent Boundary (Volcanic Mountains)
· Oceanic-Oceanic Convergent Boundary (Volcanic Island Arc)
· Continental- Continental Convergent Boundary (Continental Mountains)
· Transform Strike-Slip Boundary (Earthquakes)
Low prep and easy to follow – this lab is sure to be a hit in your classroom!
Supplies Needed Per Group (2-4):
· Sheet of Wax Paper
· Plastic Knife
· 2 Graham Crackers
· 1 Fun-Size Rice Krispy Treat (or larger)
· 10 Chocolate Chips
· 1 Spoonful of Icing (or whipped topping)
Appropriate for grades 6-12! My high schoolers and middle schoolers love it!
Answer Key Included!
Click on the Preview To Learn More!
All New Products are Discounted First 3 Days of Posting!
Key Terms: Tectonic Plates, Plate Tectonics, Continental Drift, Convergent Boundary, Divergent Boundary, Transform Boundary, Volcanic Island Arc, Volcanic Continental Mountain Arc, Mountains, Sea-Floor Spreading, Mid-Ocean Ridge, Claim, Evidence, Reasoning, Volcanoes, Earthquakes
- Purchase of the product is for single classroom use by the purchaser only. It is a violation for individuals, schools, and districts to redistribute, edit, sell, or post this item on the Internet or to other individuals. Disregarding the copyright is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and subject to legal action.
Check Out These Other Plate Tectonics Resources from Science Is Real!