May can be a trying month for secondary teachers. This engaging end-of-the-year writing activity is an excellent way to keep students writing without having to take home stacks of research papers to grade when the weather is beautiful!
With this product, students will reflect on their school year, examine their growth, identify defining moments and experiences, and choose songs that relate to each of them. Through both short responses consisting of a few sentences and an extended paragraph, students will practice the writing skills you have taught them all year in an engaging, student-centered, non-intimidating manner.
This product contains:
1. An instruction page (EDITABLE in PPT format)
2. A two-page playlist graphic organizer with room for students to write about why they have chosen each song. Also, in each song explanation, students are encouraged to demonstrate mastery of a common writing skill (like using a semicolon correctly).
3. A rubric for the 8-song playlist (quick to grade, easy to use & EDITABLE)
4. An extended response expository prompt scaffolded to eliminate confusion
5. An example extended response you can share with students.
6. A rubric for the extended response that will save you time
This product is excellent for homework or daily work. It would also work for either individual students, partners, or small groups. You could use it after a test, on a day when you have extra time, for extra credit, or on a day you have scheduled a substitute.
I hope your students enjoy this reflective writing activity that allows them to express themselves through a creative outlet: music!
If you like this product, you might be interested in related products available in my store:
The Writing Games Activity Board
Grammar Games Bundle
Truth or Dare, Figurative Language Style
Get Schooled! Figurative Language and Literary Terms Game
Embedding Quotations in Research Papers: MLA Station Activities
Rules for Commas & Semicolons
Sentence Fluency Tips: 11 Deadly Sins
Writing Process Minilesson
Editable Research and Writing Unit Test or Final Exam Question Bank
And more here
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.