Playlist of My Year: An End-of-the-Year Writing Assignment Digital & Print
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Keep middle and high school students engaged in meaningful literacy activities at the end of the school year. When attention spans start waning, this bundle of unique end-of-year resources for English classes will help keep students focused while celebrating learning and enhancing the community you'Price $11.50Original Price $14.75Save $3.25
May can be a trying month for secondary teachers. This engaging end-of-the-year writing activity is an excellent way to keep students writing without having to take home stacks of research papers to grade when the weather is beautiful!
With this Playlist of My Year resource, students will reflect on their school year, examine their growth, identify defining moments and experiences, and choose songs that relate to each of them. Through both short responses consisting of a few sentences and an extended paragraph, students will practice the writing skills you have taught them all year in an engaging, student-centered, non-intimidating manner.
This playlist of my year product contains:
1. An instruction page (EDITABLE in Google slides format)
2. A two-page playlist graphic organizer with room for students to write or type about why they have chosen each song. Also, in each song explanation, students are encouraged to demonstrate proficiency of a common writing skill (like using a semicolon correctly).
3. A rubric for the 8-song playlist (quick to assess, easy to use with both a PDF and EDITABLE Google slides version)
4. An extended response expository prompt scaffolded to eliminate confusion
5. An example extended response you can share with students
6. An editable rubric (in Google Slides format) for the extended response that will save you time
Playlist of my year is excellent writing practice for many situations. It would work for either individual students, partners, or small groups. You could use it after a test, on a day when you have extra time, for extra credit, or on a day you have scheduled a substitute. Have students present their answers to the class for quick assessment.
With a recent update, this resource is now FULLY included in GOOGLE SLIDES, which makes it ideal for 1:1 classrooms and distance learning. Additionally, the verbiage has changed a little so that you can use it any time of year...not just at the end!
I hope your students enjoy this reflective end of the year writing activity that allows them to express themselves through a creative outlet: MUSIC!
If you like this playlist of my school year resource, you might be interested in related teaching tools available in my store:
ELA Games Bundle for Skill Practice and Review
Truth or Dare, Figurative Language Style
Differentiated, Brain-Based Vocabulary Bundle for Any Word List
Scaffolded One Pager Assignment
Book Club Choice Reading Activities Bundle
And more here!
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.