May can be a trying month for secondary teachers. This engaging end-of-the-year writing activity is an excellent way to keep students writing without having to take home stacks of research papers to grade when the weather is beautiful!
With this Playlist of My Year resource, students will reflect on their school year, examine their growth, identify defining moments and experiences, and choose songs that relate to each of them. Through both short responses consisting of a few sentences and an extended paragraph, students will practice the writing skills you have taught them all year in an engaging, student-centered, non-intimidating manner.
This playlist of my year product contains:
1. An instruction page (EDITABLE in PPT format)
2. A two-page playlist graphic organizer with room for students to write about why they have chosen each song. Also, in each song explanation, students are encouraged to demonstrate mastery of a common writing skill (like using a semicolon correctly).
3. A rubric for the 8-song playlist (quick to grade, easy to use with both a PDF and EDITABLE version)
4. An extended response expository prompt scaffolded to eliminate confusion
5. An example extended response you can share with students
6. A rubric for the extended response that will save you time
Playlist of my year is excellent for homework or daily work. It would also work for either individual students, partners, or small groups. You could use it after a test, on a day when you have extra time, for extra credit, or on a day you have scheduled a substitute. Have students present their answers to the class for quick assessment.
I hope your students enjoy this reflective end of the year writing activity that allows them to express themselves through a creative outlet: MUSIC!
If you like this playlist of my school year resource, you might be interested in related teaching tools available in my store:
And more here!
Stay in touch:
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.