Plot Development – Introduction
This lesson is designed to introduce students to plot development and some of the key vocabulary. After completing this lesson the plot organizer and vocabulary terms can be used on short stories and novels.
1. Introduce what makes a story powerful by brainstorming stories the students have loved and reasons why.
2. Answer a series of questions to get the students thinking about what makes a great story.
3. Define key vocabulary needed to discuss plot development.
4. Take notes on setting, plot and conflict. Use a favorite picture book or read aloud as the example.
5. Apply key concepts to a picture book (Faithful Elephants) so students can practice the skill with a picture book before moving to stories that are more complex.
This unit includes vocabulary terms with a key, a blank plot organizer, a note page, and a plot organizer. It also has a modified assignment, key and conflict page for Faithful Elephants.