This resource contains seven fun, cooperative activities for “To Serve Man,” [an episode of The Twilight Zone] perfect for Halloween or anytime! You can access this episode on Hulu, Netflix, CBS Access, or Amazon Prime.
Activities provide practice with:
- making inferences
- using evidence to support answers
- identifying elements of plot (characters, setting, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution)
- point of view & perspective
- writing summaries
- narrative writing
- expository writing
- persuasive writing
Each activity is listed below with a short description.
Duration can be one day or one week+ depending on whether you choose to complete one, some, or all of the activities.
- A print and paperless version (on Google Slides™)
- At this time, the print version IS EDITABLE.
- The Google Slides™ version EDITABLE
- Teacher overview and implementation options
- Center Cards for all seven activities (each version has a black & white version; some also include a color version)
- Comprehension questions handout (with answer key)
- Plot diagram template handout (with answer key)
- Sample summary
- Storyboard template handout
- Facebook profile template handout
- Links to free Instagram & Twitter template handouts
Activity 1 (~60 min.)
Watch “To Serve Man” with class and discuss or complete written questions.
Activity 2: Plot Diagram and Summary (~60 min.*)
*This activity assumes prior knowledge on plot diagrams and summary writing. However, if this is not the case, or complete the plot diagram and summary whole-class as an introduction to the process.
Activity 3: “What’s in a Name” (~45 min.)
Narrative activity based on titles of The Twilight Zone episodes.
Activity 4: “Two Sides to Every Story” (~45 min.)
Narrative activity focusing on point-of-view.
Activity 5: “To Be Continued…” (~45 min.)
Narrative activity picking up where “To Serve Man” leaves off.
Activity 6: Wikipedia Article (~75 min.)
Non-fiction writing activity
Activity 7: Social Media (~60 min)
Persuasion in social media/advertising through the lens of characters
“To Serve Man” is an episode of The Twilight Zone (season 3, episode 24). It is available on Netflix and for free at www.hulu.com and many public libraries. If you choose to access through a website, be sure your school doesn’t block the site you plan to use.
Please take note that these activities provide opportunities to practice skills, be creative, and work cooperatively. They are not formal how-to lessons. Feel free to message me with any questions you have.
If you like this, you might also be interested in: