Plot Structure Unit - Use with Kat Kong by Dav Pilkey
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This plot structure bundle has everything you need for the week!The 5-day Plot Unit will help you teach your students to identify, sequence and understand how the main plot points work together and influence each other to develop the plot structure of the story. This plot unit covers several componPrice $4.80Original Price $7.50Save $2.70
Students will identify the main plot elements, sequence main events in the story, and understand how events and the setting influence the plot.
This week-long plot unit will help you teach your students to identify, sequence, and understand how the main plot elements work together and influence each other to develop the plot structure of the story.
This plot elements unit covers several components of your ELA instruction:
- Read aloud,
- Detailed reading lessons,
- And grammar (using mentor sentences).
- There is also a connection to writing with response to text and writing station prompts!
PLEASE NOTE: This unit contains lessons and activities centered around by Dav Pilkey. You will need to find access to the book from the library, bookstore, or online in order to use this unit.
⭐ Plot Lessons & Resources:
- Day 1 – Identifying main plot elements
- Day 2 – Sequencing main plot points
- Day 3 – Understanding how events influence future events in the plot
- Day 4 – Understanding how the setting influences the characters in the story
- Day 5 – Understanding how the setting influences the events in the plot
- Assessment – This reading passage has 7 multiple choice questions and 3 short answer questions.
- Graphic Organizers
- Anchor Chart and Mini-Anchor Chart Resources
- Sentence Strips for Hands-On Activity & Modeling
⭐ Vocabulary Lessons & Resources:
Vocabulary words are taken from the read aloud by Dav Pilkey.
- Academic Vocabulary Word Cards
- Read Aloud with a Vocabulary Focus
- Vocabulary Word Cards & Picture Cards
- “Mirrors with Words” and Words in Context Activities
- Vocabulary Assessment
⭐ Plot Elements Read Aloud Resources:
- PowerPoint Introduction to the Read Aloud to Help Build Background Knowledge
- Plot Book List
- Think Aloud Stems
⭐ Mentor Sentence (Grammar):
Mentor sentence is taken from the read aloud by Dav Pilkey.
Grammar Focus: Using and capitalizing proper nouns
- Mentor sentence activities/mini-lessons
- Explanation of mentor sentences
- PowerPoint Presentation to accompany mentor sentence
- Student handout/recording sheet
⭐ Response to Text:
- 5 Response to text journal prompts
- You can also provide the graphic organizers from the week.
⭐ 5 Writing Station Prompts
⭐ What Others Have Said:
"This product helped my third grade students understand plot!"
"A great introductory lesson to plot. Students enjoyed the book and the plot mountain activity."
"This just absolutely made my day. Super helpful!!!"
"My students loved this, and you included A LOT for the price. I wouldn't have thought this book would have made a good choice, but it was AWESOME!! Of course, the students are familiar with this author but not in this way. They loved that it was his real animals. Great choice."
⭐ Save 20% by purchasing the BUNDLE!
What Others Have Said About Plot Structure The Bundle:
"This is a great resource to use to introduce how the influence of the setting on the plot as well as plot elements. I love the interactive notebook as it helped all of my students high-low."
"A wonderful resource! I can't say enough about how great this is."
✨ All my new products are 50% off for the first 24 hours. Click here to follow my store and receive notifications when I create something new so you don't miss out on the savings.
I’d love to hear from you if you have any questions, issues, or requests!
❤ Laura Heinen
✨ Leave a review to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. You can easily do this by clicking the "Provide Feedback" button next to the items you've purchased on your "My Purchases" page.