This poetry package contains different poems of varying lengths and focuses.
- This product includes literary devices, phonics knowledge that will reinforce systems like Orton-Gillingham, text-to-self connections, text-to-world connections, and text-to-text connections.
- Students will interact with the text by marking up the poems and by answering comprehension questions.
- I suggest having students keep a “Poem Fluency Folder” so that they collect the poems throughout the whole school year. Whole punch the top so that they are ready to go!
- If the folder is kept in their desks or nearby, students can use this as a reader’s workshop option.
- There are enough poems that you can skip and choose based on your class’s needs.
I have used a "poem of the week" model during my years of teaching, but I couldn't find a product that did exactly what I wanted. I hope that my product fulfills this need for you, too!