Also included in
- Take the stress out of planning a high school Creative Writing class with this complete, 9-week elective course curriculum bundle! This Complete Creative Writing Class Bundle includes everything you need to teach creative writing skills, poetry analysis, and engage students in a variety of writing a$74.58$93.38Save $18.80
Want to incorporate regular poetry analysis and writing into your English or Creative Writing class? Don't want to overwhelm your students or spend hours on analyzing a single poem? These Poem of the Week Poetry Analysis Worksheets are exactly what you need!
These Poem of the Week poetry analysis worksheets introduce students to a new poem weekly. Each day that week, students will spend five minutes analyzing or practicing a literary term with the poem. After analyzing, students can write their own poems using the original as a mentor text.
Skip the poetry overwhelm while providing in-depth skills practice! These poems make poetry analysis quick and easy, introduce students to a variety of mentor texts, and challenge students to write a new and different kind of poem each week.
- You can use these as a bell ringer or warm-up activity, completing one step a day at the beginning of classes (for example, complete step 1 on Monday, step 2 on Tuesday, etc.)
- You can alternatively use these as a weekly assignment (for example, every Monday you examine the Poem of the Week and complete all 5 steps in one class period)
- These are especially great for creative writing classes or poetry units, as each poem has a unique creative writing extension activity
- These are also a great review of literary terms and skills practice, so you can use these as a supplement or enrichment when needed for any poetry or literature unit
- There are ten Poem of the Weeks included so that you have an extra to use an example or for odd quarters that might run long
- You could also always leave these as sub plans
- Poem of the Week: "Design" by Robert Frost
- Poem of the Week: "I heard a Fly buzz - when I died -" by Emily Dickinson
- Poem of the Week: "Rain Music" by Joseph S. Cotter, Jr.
- Poem of the Week: "We Wear the Mask" by Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Poem of the Week: "Buffalo Bill's" by E. E. Cummings
- Poem of the Week: "A Poison Tree" by William Blake
- Poem of the Week: "A Jelly-fish" by Marianne Moore
- Poem of the Week: "When You Are Old" by William Butler Yeats
- Poem of the Week: "To My Dear and Loving Husband" by Anne Bradstreet
- Poem of the Week: "If We Must Die" by Claude McKay
- BUNDLE ONLY BONUS MATERIAL:
- Suggested directions
- At-a-glance literary terms/skills and poems chart
- Create a "Poem of the Week" Student Project: students choose a poem to create a 5-step Poem of the Week activity around
- Teacher directions
- EDITABLE Student assignment sheet
- EDITABLE rubric
- Student template
Please look at each of these resources individually prior to purchase. Each resource includes an extensive preview, and I want you to be sure that these products will work for you and your students prior to purchase!
- Figurative Language Bundle
- Creative Writing Mini Lessons and Workshops Bundle
- Author Study Writing Project
- Creative Writing Project: Rewrite a Fairy Tale
***This resource consists of NON-EDITABLE PDF and Google files within Google Folder. In order to access your purchase, you will need to give Teachers Pay Teachers access to your Google Drive. Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure these resources support your and your students' needs. The whole of each resource, with the exception of any answer keys, are included in the preview--please look at to make sure you'll be happy with your purchase.
: Download each resource from its individual sales page to get access. Downloading your "bundle" from this page will only give you access to resources not stored on Google.