Products in this Bundle (10)
showing 1-5 of 10 products
Are you looking for bell ringers or warm-up activities to help students practice their literary analysis skills? Is poetry analysis overwhelming for your students? These Poem of the Week activities are the ideal solution!
These Poem of the Week activities introduce students to a new poem weekly. Each day that week, students will spend five minutes analyzing or practicing a literary term with the poem. Skip the poetry overwhelm while providing in-depth skills practice! Plus, each also comes with an optional creative writing extension activity.
- Poem of the Week: "Design" by Robert Frost
- Poem of the Week: "I heard a Fly buzz - when I died -" by Emily Dickinson
- Poem of the Week: "Rain Music" by Joseph S. Cotter, Jr.
- Poem of the Week: "We Wear the Mask" by Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Poem of the Week: "Buffalo Bill's" by E. E. Cummings
- Poem of the Week: "A Poison Tree" by William Blake
- Poem of the Week: "A Jelly-fish" by Marianne Moore
- Poem of the Week: "When You Are Old" by William Butler Yeats
- Poem of the Week: "To My Dear and Loving Husband" by Anne Bradstreet
- Poem of the Week: "If We Must Die" by Claude McKay
- BUNDLE ONLY BONUS MATERIAL:
- Suggested directions
- At-a-glance literary terms/skills and poems chart
- Create a "Poem of the Week" Student Project: students choose a poem to create a 5-step Poem of the Week activity around
- Teacher directions
- EDITABLE Student assignment sheet
- EDITABLE rubric
- Student template
- You can use these as intended as a bell ringer or warm-up activity, completing one step a day at the beginning of classes
- You can alternatively use these as a weekly assignment (for example, every Monday you examine the Poem of the Week and complete all 5 steps in one class period)
- These are especially great for creative writing classes or poetry unit, as each poem has a unique creative writing extension activity
- These are also a great review of literary terms and skills practice, so you can use these as a supplement or enrichment when needed for any poetry or literature unit
- There are ten Poem of the Weeks included so that you have an extra to use an example or for odd quarters that might run long
- You could also always leave these as sub plans
- Figurative Language Bundle
- Author Study Writing Project
- Creative Writing Project: Rewrite a Fairy Tale
***These resources consist of NON-EDITABLE PDF and PowerPoint files within a zip folder. Please be sure you have the appropriate software before purchase (if you have any issues, Teachers Pay Teachers has great tech support and a FAQ page). Before purchasing, please review the preview to make sure these resources support your and your students' needs. The whole of each resource, with the exception of any answer keys, are included in the preview--please look at each product to make sure you'll be happy with your purchase.