Also included in
- Imagine having your entire middle school ELA school year planned for you! This curriculum and pacing guide for 7th grade ELA includes EVERYTHING you need for an entire school year of reading, writing, learning, growth, and engagement. Simply download the PDF pacing guide and yearlong curriculum, andPrice $250.00Original Price $331.23Save $81.23
Are your students bored of poetry? Get kids excited with Poet vs Poet basketball style brackets. Students read poems in competitive match ups, rating the poem quality based on the meaning, mood, form, and language the poet uses. Students learn to analyze poetry, and they become obsessed with their favorite poems. My kids LOVE this activity!
JUST ADDED: Version Two Poet vs. Poet with even more exciting match ups! I kept some popular match ups the same, but added new match ups like Edgar Allan Poe vs Emily Dickinson. Choose the original Poet vs. Poet or the Version Two!
2020 Update: Digital Brackets! You can now share the brackets with students through Google Classroom. Students can click and advance poets through the brackets. Each poet is also linked to their poem. Students can click and read the poem saving you from printing the whole packet!
Poet vs Poet includes two different versions of 16 poems by 16 different poets in flip book form so students can match up different poems, analyze and rate them, and decide which poet advances to the next round. Choose to implement using a printed packet OR share poems using the digital bracket. Everything you need to implement a fun poetry March madness theme is here:
- Student Guide
- 16 flip book style poems (Two versions! Choose your favorite!)
- Digital brackets with clickable links to all 16 poems. Share with students through Google Classroom and display on Smartboards/Projector screens
- Rubric rating system for students
- Short answer practice questions based on poetry match ups
- Teacher rubric for short answer grading
- Theme, mood, and figurative language task cards
- PowerPoint copy of the packet and task cards for whole class instruction
- Letter to the teacher with ideas for implementation and differentiation
- Bulletin Board Brackets with all of the poems and poets! Track your students' top picks on a class version of the poetry brackets for even more fun and discussion.
Enjoy seeing your students toss around the names of poets as if they are their favorite basketball players!
The Weary Blues by Langston Hughes
Songs for the People by Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
Deep in the Quiet Wood by James Weldon Johnson
Songs of the Spavinaw by Ruth Muskrat Bronson
After the Winter by Claude Mckay
Swallows by Leonora Speyer
A Day by Emily Dickinson
Alone by Edgar Allan Poe
If-- by Rudyard Kipling
Passers-by by Carl Sandburg
By the Stream by Paul Laurence Dunbar
Interim by Lola Ridge
Willow Poem by William Carlos Williams
To the Thawing Wind by Robert Frost
If You Should Tire of Loving Me by Margaret Widdemer
Bound by Aline Murray Kilmer
Check out another favorite poetry activity:
For more on your feet products, check out my escape rooms: