Common Core Writing: Poetry/Poem Analysis and Critique Essay
This IS included in my mega bundle: ALL of my POETRY RESOURCES GROWING BUNDLE and in the following smaller bundles: Poetry Resources Bundle, Volume 2 and Essay Writing Resource Bundle: Common Core Aligned
Students struggle reading and understanding poetry, let alone trying to write a critique of a poem. Instead of being tempted to find already-written essays on the internet, have your students answer a series of 30+ questions about the poem first. Yes, it seems like a lot, but the questions are relatively easy and only a few require further research. When they are finished, they have a very detailed outline for their paper. They just need to add a hook/introduction, transitions, and clean up the sentences.
I started using this years ago with my "general" English students. After seeing how painless the process was for them, I began using it with my regular and honors students. The results are more authentic analysis and less copy/pasted text in their essays. Using the question/answer format also enhances the meaning of the poem for them.
• 36-question guide for poem analysis and critique based on the Common Core State Standards
• Instructions on how to document sources for a Works Cited page
• Common Core State Standards Rubrics for a poem analysis paper (grades 9-10 and 11-12)
• Microsoft Word "Student Copy" that can be shared electronically with your students. (Great for flipped classrooms, 1:1 schools, and paperless schools.)
• PDF "Student Copy"
• Teacher's file with instructions, questions for paper copying (better spacing), and CCSS specific 9-12 standards covered.
-You can differentiate by eliminating or adding to some of the questions and customizing the guidelines of the paper using the Word file.
-Great practice for test-prep, as the Common Core Standards are requiring students to look more deeply into the text and find evidence to support statements.
You might like...
Poetry Resources Volume 1
Poetry Resources Bundle, Volume 2
(this is included in vol. 2 bundle)
Song Lyric Comparison for Interpretation
40+ formulas for writing poems
Created by Tracee Orman
Mrs. Orman's Classroom