Poetry Analysis Unit: Analyzing 5 Poems - Google Classroom Distance Learning
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Save with this Poetry Writing, Reading and Analyzing Bundle!Combined, the two units include 16 days of instruction! Both units can be easily combined, taught separately, or spread out through the duration of a school year.POETRY WRITING UNITThis unit provides students with a deep understanding of tPrice $18.99Original Price $21.98Save $2.99
Teaching poetry reading and analysis doesn't have to be intimidating or overwhelming. This poetry unit makes interpreting and analyzing poetry very accessible!
In this CCSS-aligned poetry unit students will closely read five poems from diverse authors. Each poem is accompanied by four analysis tasks. After each reading, students dive deeper into the interpretation and analysis of the poem. Then, based on the work that students have done while reading and responding to the poem, they will construct a detailed analysis of the poem. The best part is that by the time students write their poem analysis, they’re armed with a strong understanding of the poem. In addition, students learn all about poetry elements. You'll be so impressed with their responses that are not only accurate, but also filled with text examples and evidence. (Your students will be impressed and proud, too.)
This unit can easily be split into individual lessons - allowing you to teach poetry analysis five different times throughout the school year. Or, the unit can be taught in succession.
Great News! The student packet is also available as a Google Slides resource for students. In addition to the PDF version, students can complete the packet pages via a file sharing service such as Google Drive, Google Classroom, or in the internet “cloud.” The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online.
This detailed unit includes:
- 20 close reading and analysis activities
- Detailed instructional lesson plans
- Teacher keys for all student worksheets
- 5 pages for printing or typing the poems
Students will read and analyze these poems:
- “Nothing Gold Can Stay” by Robert Frost
- “If I can stop one heart from breaking” by Emily Dickinson
- “Abandoned Farmhouse” by Ted Kooser
- “Mother to Son” by Langston Hughes
- “Oranges” by Gary Soto
* IMPORTANT - The poems are NOT included in this resource. However, multiple links for each poem are included. You will be able to easily click, print and/or type each poem. You'll find 5 template pages for each poem included in case you would like to coordinate the poems with the analysis tasks. Super easy!
Skills developed in this unit:
- Close reading of complex texts
- Making inferences
- Determining central ideas or themes in poetry
- Interpreting figurative language
- Responding to poetry
- Citing textual evidence to support poem analysis
- Writing analyses with sufficient evidence
- Participating in discussions and expressing ideas about poetry clearly
FYI: This unit is also a part of this bundle --- Poetry Reading, Writing, and Analyzing BUNDLE!
Check out these other fun and rigorous POETRY RESOURCES:
- Doodle and Do Figurative Language Unit
- 5 Interactive Hands-On Poetry Lessons & Activities
- Interactive Poetry Analysis Flip Books - for the entire year!
- 4 Poet and Poem Studies - Doodle and Do!
You may also like…
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
*** Click HERE to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
Brain Waves Instruction