This winter, help your students cozy up to five winter poems in this engaging 5-day Poetry Analysis Unit
. Take all of the intimidation out of teaching and analyzing poetry with the Interactive Flip Books
designed for each poem. Each flip book includes four analysis tasks to help students dive deeper into the interpretation of the poems. The best part is that students begin to see the value in reading a poem multiple times and develop confidence in their reading skills. Your students will love the interactive flip books and you’ll love how they develop as readers.
Quick Unit Overview:
• Includes 5 poems all about winter written by diverse authors
• Each poem is accompanied by a five-page interactive flip book
• Lessons are easily adaptable to small group or partner work
• Repeated poetry readings develop deep interpretation and comprehension
• The unit can be taught in succession or broken into individual lessons throughout the year (or winter season)
This detailed unit includes:
• 5 poems
• 20 close reading and analysis activities that can be assembled into interactive flip books
• Detailed instructional lesson plans
• Teacher keys for all student worksheets
• Special Bonus! Robert Frost quote coloring and analysis page from Art with Jenny K.!
Poems included in this unit:
• “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” by Robert Frost
• “Snow in the Suburbs” by Thomas Hardy
• “Those Winter Sundays” by Robert Hayden
• “Snow Day” by Billy Collins
• “Cynthia in the Snow” by Gwendolyn Brooks
Skills developed in this unit:
• Close reading of complex texts
• Making inferences
• Determining central ideas or themes in poetry
• Interpreting figurative language
• Responding to poetry
• Citing textual evidence to support poem analysis
• Writing analyses with sufficient evidence
• Participating in discussions and expressing ideas about poetry clearly
Common Core Learning Standards
addressed in this unit:
• -RL.1, RL.2, RL.4, RL.5, RL.10
• -W.9, W.10
• -L.1, L.3, L.4, L.5, L.6
• -SL.1, SL.6
This set of poetry analysis interactive flip books is part of the Year of Poetry Analysis Flip Books Bundle
! The bundle includes 20 poems, 20 flip books, and 80 analysis tasks. You’ll find sets of flip books for SPRING, SUMMER, AUTUMN and WINTER. Learn more about the Year of Poetry Analysis Flip Books Bundle HERE!
This unit is also a part of the Winter Resources Bundle
. The bundle is filled with over 15 days of instruction and includes four resources - Winter Poetry Analysis Flip Books, "A Christmas Carol" Interactive Notebooks, a Winter Break Project, and an End-of-Year Reflection. You can check it out HERE .
You might also like...
Winter Break Project - Tic-Tac-Snow
"A Christmas Carol" Interactive Notebook
Memoir Study and Writing Unit
Incredible Journeys Multi-Unit Bundle:
Literature Study, Historical Text Analysis, Poetry Analysis, Poetry Writing, Speech Analysis, Mini-Research Project, Speech Writing and Presentation, & Personal Journey Reflection
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction