Poetry Task Cards and Writing Activity for Grades 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
is a fun, engaging, interactive and challenging Poetry Task Card set that also gives you a THREE-DAY Annotating, Critical Writing and Creative Writing lesson! Ideal for Valentine's Day, the entire month of February, or any time you are employing your poetry unit!
Please SEE OUR PREVIEW for a SAMPLE OVERVIEW!
This resource lets students:
*Use poetic annotation and critical thinking task cards
in a flexible way
****Use the task cards by themselves, just as you would normally use task cards. Students will benefit answering the questions. Blank answer sheets are provided. Of course a key is provided for you. Do it all in one day, or over time. Ideas are included.
Once you are finished get even MORE use out of the take cards.
Annotate a poem
that is featured in the task cards. We have printed them out on paper for you and the students.
Write a poem
that applies or uses a couple or at least three features they studied during their poem annotation activity.
And create a brief essay
that explains this process, further solidifying critical thinking skills, as well as their knowledge about poetry and writing about their own process.
This is the BEST USE of TASK CARDS
, one that enables critical thinking, annotation, application of learned skills, and a perfect “marriage” of both critical and creative writing, all in a quick and easy 3-day lesson!.
What do I receive? PART ONE INCLUDES:
• 40 task cards. BLACK AND WHITE, then again, in Color!
• LESSON PLAN, Directions and TEN additional ways to implement your task cards. Use differently each year.
• Student Answer Sheet for task cards
• Teacher Answer Key for you.
Poem Excerpts Include:
• Ogden Nash “A Word to Husbands” and “To My Valentine”
• Dorothy Parker “One Perfect Rose”
• Emily Dickinson “If I Can Stop One Heart from Breaking”
• Ben Jonson “Song: To Celia”
• George Gordon, Lord Byron “She Walks In Beauty”
• Billy Collins “Night Club” and “Today”
• Robert Herrick “To the Virgins to Make Much of Time
Some of the Tasks Covered:
Main idea; Inference; Tone, Mood; Author’s Purpose; Structure/features; MOST Literary DEVICES – Listing ones found in a stanza and identifying ones presented; Providing reader response and MORE.
These Task Cards Encourage Critical Thinking; Support annotation of a Poem; Feature NINE classical or humorous but always age-appropriate poems that are great for February and ALL year long.
PART TWO - The Best Part in Our Opinion! YOU ALSO RECEIVE:
• ALL NINE Poems featured in the Task Cards, typed out FULL LENGTH (for annotation), along with space for writing.
• Lesson Plans and suggestions
• All the Necessary Handouts for Students to write a poem based on one of the poems in this pack, and write a guided explanatory essay about their process.
We hope you agree that this is a critical thinking power house that will engage your students and help them make longer-lasting connections to texts, enjoy writing about poetry, and in the end have a deeper understand of their own writing!
If you like this product, you might also be interested in:
Proper Usage Task Card Set and More! Middle School and High School
Annotating Sonnets: COMPLETE Common Core Standards Unit for Middle & High School
Ancient Literary World Texts – Teacher Planning Cards!
Get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. ☺
Would you like to become part of the TPT family?
• If you feel you have something to share with other teachers. . .
• Sign on to be a Teachers Pay Teachers seller.
• Click on to my referral link. I enjoy helping get new folks started!
• You can begin here: Sign Me up to TPT with PerfettoWritingRoom as a Coach!