Are you looking for a fresh and exciting way to teach poetry to your high school students? This comprehensive unit plan teaches poetry through the lens of hip-hop music! This poetry unit meets all the learning goals of a standard "Shakespearian" poetry unit, but does so by creatively using the hip-hop music genre to spur on interest and excitement of your students! With an emphasis on understanding and analyzing poetic devices, this multimedia unit bundle does so within hip-hop music in addition to giving information about the history of the genre itself. Despite hip-hop's ability to be inappropriate in its content, this unit plan is safe for classroom use as long as you as the teacher heeds particular warnings along the way. I created this unit with the notion of generating a poetry unit that I would have loved to have learned back when I was in high school, but also to dispel negative rumours associated with hip-hop/rap as a genre.
Here is what you need to know about the unit:
- 14 lessons in duration (lasting 3 weeks to a month in length)
- All lesson plans are included for you (no planning needed on your part)
- This is an all-encompassing unit (no need for any further purchases)
Resources included in this unit:
- 14 comprehensive lesson guides/plans (which walk you through step-by-step each lesson and give links to all resources needed)
- 6 multimedia powerpoint presentations (which focus on the understanding of 12 poetic devices and the history of the hip hop genre)
- 3 major assignments (that vary in content between reading and writing poetry as well as the understanding of groundbreaking moments in hip-hop history)
- 3 sets of song lyrics (censored when needed, these will be analyzed to discover poetic devices within them)
- 1 poetry madness tournament (64 poems enter a bracket tourney, and only 1 survives. Which will your class choose?)
- 1 unit test and unit test review sheet (easily accommodatable for students with exceptionalities, also comes with teacher answer key)
I know your students will relish the opportunity to learn poetry through the lens of hip-hop music with some of their favourite artists, songs, and lyrics. Lastly, I hope you enjoy teaching this unit bundle as much as I do. Good luck!