Products in this Bundle (8)
showing 1-5 of 8 products
We at Nellie Edge Kindergarten believe ALL children deserve oral language and reading fluency with familiar songs, poems, and rhymes.
"... poetry, the most exquisite language we speak, to help children internalize the raw elements of language--the rhythm, the rhyme, and the sound." -Kay Goines
Nellie Edge “I Can Read” Growing Poetry Bundle invites your PreK-2 students to memorize, recite, illustrate, and read delightful language.
- Use shared reading and guided reading to teach both phonics and sight word skills.
- Multiple re-reading of familiar, engaging texts boosts confidence and stamina!
- Instill a life-long love of language!
This growing bundle will feature over 200 selections. Choose from:
- 8 monthly poetry and song collections
- An additional collection of "sciencing" and weather poems and song
- A collection of writing and literacy poems and song collection
- First lines of ALL poems, songs, and rhymes
- A miniature collection (formatted 12 poems per page) for quick reference and curriculum planning
- Editable parent information letters
- How-to: Everything you need to create your own "I Can Read" Poetry Notebooks!
Read this blog to learn how to Celebrate Every Season with Poetry!
What’s included in the BUNDLE:
- Beautiful 40-page photo essay featuring poetry in the lives of children (part of September Poetry)
- Over 200 traditional and copyright-secured poems, rhymes, and songs in two versions; enlarged print for emergent readers and smaller print for primary readers
- Poetry lessons
- Directions to build each child’s poetry anthology notebook
- Ways to invite parent involvement
- All children's art and photos are posted with parental permission and copyrighted to NellieEdge.com.
Language is the foundation for all thinking, learning, communication, and literacy.
Accelerating language and reading skills simultaneously while joyfully singing and dramatizing songs and chanting rhymes is a multisensory learning strategy that takes advantage of how the brain learns best! It builds community and is memorable, engaging, and incorporates a host of “best practices.”
Purchase early to SAVE this GROWING bundle!
Your “I Can Read” Poetry and Song Bundle will soon have over 200 traditional and copyright-secured poems, songs, and rhymes that are worthy of children’s time and creative energy. We encourage you to bring back the out loud culture: Choose the rhymes from our monthly collections that you delight in and that fit your curriculum themes!
- Enjoy reciting, singing, dramatizing, and signing the language with your students.
- Invite students to personalize the language with art.
- Provide shared reading experiences where all children feel successful.
- Send the notebooks home regularly for oral language rehearsal and reading fluency practice.
- Peruse the attached photo essay documenting some of the amazing work from kindergarten teachers who value authentic language learning rich in arts and deep science connections.
- You may be inspired to make these best practices routine in your classroom!
Unique Features of this Poetry Program celebrates ALL children:
- Uses the research-proven Neurological Impress Method (a gradual release of responsibility instructional model) to simultaneously build oral language and reading fluency. We teach for independent, self-directed learning.
- Is initially a collaborative group activity, recognizing that academic success is enhanced by social-emotional competence and a feeling of belonging.
- Extends children’s vocabulary and a personal oral language repertoire of traditional, well-loved songs and rhymes that are part of our shared cultural heritage.
- Teaches and reinforces high-frequency words early on for reading mastery.
- Builds comprehension through drama, imagery, movement, mime, dance, and sign language, thus keeping children actively engaged and focused.
- Brings back the out loud culture of traditional songs and rhymes.
- Allows us to demonstrate and model the strategies that successful readers use within a noncompetitive environment that is predictable, social, and emotionally safe.
- Develops an "I can do it!" attitude, nurturing a growth mindset.
- Encourages integrated, meaningful instruction and skill development—not isolated, meaningless drill. Explicit, differentiated instruction builds motivation, enthusiasm and confidence. That is the beginning of reading independence.
- Right from the start, children learn to read by being engaged in authentic and purposeful reading experiences with Parents as Partners in the process.
- Does not initially “ability group” children. Allows all children to feel a true sense of “belonging” while developing literacy skills at their own individual levels, from memorizing the sounds of language to fluent independent reading.
- Uses positive instructional strategies that simultaneously teach reading decoding skills and reading as a satisfying language and comprehension experience.
- Makes language learning easy. Our brain is uniquely programmed to effortlessly learn language through the rhythm, rhyme, and repetition of songs and rhymes. Children begin building the neuropathways that support reading success long before they have mastered all of the beginning reading skills.
- Integrates the arts and science exploration with meaningful drawing and reading.
- Allows more experienced readers to expand their vocabulary and be challenged. Provides the scaffolding needed for English Learners and developmentally younger students.
- Immersing young children in poetry and song instills a life-long love of language while providing valuable lessons about how language works.
Thank you for visiting my TpT Store!
Click HERE to follow our store and to be notified of new Nellie Edge Kindergarten (PreK-1) products. All new items are listed at 50% off for the first 48 hours after posting! Leave feedback and earn TpT credits.
Find resources and support on my website, NellieEdge.com
SMILES for joyful teaching and learning,