The intention of this unit of study is to investigate poetry beyond the stanza and rhyme scheme structures. Lessons provided will help students dig deeper into the meaning for comprehension of this genre. Poetry can be interpreted in a variety of ways depending on the context of the reading, the experiences of the reader and the time in which it is read. Many times, the interpretation of a poem changes over several readings. Therefore, my intention is to provide several lessons that will investigate how poets craft poems and how readers unlock meaning and interpret the poetry.
Suggested String of Minilessons:
• The Structure of Poetry (stanzas, rhyme schemes)
• My Poetry Reading Stance
• Sound devices (alliteration, rhythm, onomatopoeia, rhyme)
• Figurative language: Noticing confusing parts
• Symbolism: Noticing confusing parts
• Imagery: Sensory Images to Envision
• Reading between the lines
• Poetry Synthesis: Changing your thinking
Any feedback about this product will be appreciated.
Please visit my literacy blog www.LiteracyTreasures.com