This is a great lesson for Middle School students as it goes over the important theme of being an individual.
In this lesson students develop their skills of comparing and contrasting while also building skills in identifying theme. Students build these skills by reading and analyzing the poems "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost and "Important Choices" by Katy Schrodt. Both poems are in many Middle School English Language Arts textbook, however this lesson does includes a print out of both poems.
What is Included in this Lesson:
* PowerPoint with:
--Journal Writing Prompt
--Bullet Points on Robert Frost
--Both Poems Written Out (each on their own slide)
--Directions for Working with Graphic Organizers
* Compare/Contrast Graphic Organizer
* Questions on Finding Theme Handout
* Formative Assessment Questions Handout (Titled Looking Back)
* Poem 'Road Not Taken' Handout
* Poem 'Important Choices' Handout
I hope you and your students enjoy this engaging lesson!