Also included in
- We at Nellie Edge Kindergarten believe ALL children deserve oral language and reading fluency with familiar songs, poems, and rhymes. >> How to Give students the gift of “I Can Read” Anthology Notebooks <<"... poetry, the most exquisite language we speak, to help children internalize th$28.00$32.00Save $4.00
What's included in September Poetry Notebook?
- Beautiful 40-page photo essay featuring poetry in the lives of children
- 33 traditional and copyright-secured poems, rhymes, and songs
- Poetry lessons
- Examples from exemplary classrooms
- Directions to build each child’s Poetry Anthology Notebook
- Ways to invite parent involvement
This collection of poems and songs is available in two formats:
- Enlarged print for emergent readers
- Smaller print for primary readers
Reading Is Fun! (Learn this spelling chant! Use QR code to hear the audio from Sing, Sign, Spell, and Read!) often illustrated as Poetry Notebook cover
Fall Is Coming
Apples, Peaches, Pears, and Plums (2 versions)
L-o-v-e Spells Love (Spelling song with QR Code)
M-o-m Spells Mom (Spelling song with QR Code)
Pink Heart Words and Pink Heart Word Sentences
Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Bear
Hello Neighbor, What Do You Say?
Hola Mis Amigos/Hello My Friends
Adios Amigos/Good-bye My Friend
Pledge Allegiance/Juramento a La Bandera
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star (traditional and adapted)
See You Later, Alligator
Touch your Head
The Wheels on the Bus
The More We Get Together
I Can! C-a-n (2 versions Learn song with QR Code)
ABC Phonics: Sing, Sign, and Read! Family Chart
ABC Phonics: Sing, Sign, and Read! ABC Phonics Fluency Practice
“I” Chant (Chant with QR Code)
I always Start My Letters at the Top (Song with QR Code)
Wrinkled Heart (Before You Speak)
Algy Met a Bear
The Eensy Weensy Spider
Helper of the Day Song: Name Writing Practice (Song with QR Code)
Jack Be Nimble (Name Writing Practice)
I Like Stars (2 versions)
Mary Wore Her Red Dress
Hickety Tickety Bumblebee
Willabee Wallabee Woo
Language is the foundation for all thinking, learning, communication, and literacy. Accelerating language and reading skills simultaneously while joyfully singing and dramatizing songs and chanting rhymes is a multisensory learning strategy that takes advantage of how the brain learns best! It builds community and is memorable, engaging, and incorporates a host of “best practices.”
Your (growing) “I Can Read” Poetry and Song Bundle will soon have over 200 traditional and copyright-secured poems, songs, and rhymes that are worthy of children’s time and creative energy. (All children's art and photos are posted with parental permission and copyrighted to NellieEdge.com.) We encourage you to bring back the out loud culture: Choose the rhymes from our monthly collections that you delight in and that fit your curriculum themes!
- Enjoy reciting, singing, dramatizing, and signing the language with your students.
- Invite students to personalize the language with art.
- Provide shared reading experiences where all children feel successful.
- Send the notebooks home regularly for oral language rehearsal and reading fluency practice.
- Peruse the attached photo essay documenting some of the amazing work from kindergarten teachers who value authentic language learning rich in arts and deep science connections.
- You may be inspired to make these best practices routine in your classroom!
"I Can Read" pages are included in two formats: Larger print for emergent readers, and primary print with borders.
Table of Contents:
Stories of Poetry in the Lives of Children
Sunflower Children in September: Poetry, Art, and Connections to Nature
Unique Features of Shared Poetry
Exploring the Poetry of Falling Leaves
Apples, Peaches, Pears, and Plums: Teach Familiar Cultural Sequences
Pledge of Allegiance: Repeated Reading Builds Fluency
Bugs: Notebooks Go Home Regularly to Share with Families
Students Practice Reading ABC Phonics: Sing, Sign, and Read!
New “I Can Read” Pages are Added Every Week
Fall “I Can Read” Notebook Samples from Katie Nelson
Songs and Rhymes for a Rainy Day
Reading is Fun: Mia’s “I Can Read” Notebook Is a Treasure!
Students Use Speech Bubbles to Illustrate “Baby Birdie” Song
Information Study: “All About Flamingos” Song
Conner’s Pages: Students Learn to Write Page Numbers
Jagger’s Pages: Integrate Science, Sight Words, Family Connections
New Song Is Spontaneously Introduced
Story of Student Success from Karen Tannehill
“I Like to Read” End of Year Ritual
Choose Language that Is Worthy of Children
Full Page Exemplars: What does Quality Work Look Like?
Welcome to Kindergarten Poster and Student Exemplars
T-h-e Pages: Fancy Up Your Page—Every Illustration is Unique
Parent Letters, Poetry & Song Lessons, Research, and Curriculum Connections
Parent Letters: Kindergarten and Primary
How to Use the Neurological Impress Method of Guided Reading
Engage Children in the Memorable Language of Poetry
“I Can Read” Notebook Directions
Common Core Connections and English Learners
Parent Comments Page
Sample Table of Contents
33 Poems and Songs to Begin On
Thank you for visiting my TpT Store!
Click HERE to follow our store
- Be notified of new Nellie Edge Kindergarten (PreK-1) products.
- All new items are listed at 50% off for the first 48 hours after posting!
- Leave feedback and earn TpT credits.
Find resources and support on my website, NellieEdge.com
SMILES for joyful teaching and learning,