Poetry Party is leveled poems, colour coded according to varying levels of length and difficulty. Students choose one poem, from a poetry box, to memorize at home and then recite in front of their class to practice for public speaking. Each student is required to choose an easy poem at first.
In my class, Poetry Party usually takes place every Friday. Students are not required to recite a poem every week but if they recite more than 10 poems in the year they get a certificate and a prize. If they recite 20 or more poems in a year they get a certificate and an even bigger prize.
At the end of the year, I host a poetry party recital, where each student is expected to prepare and recite a poem of their choosing. They need to get it approved by the teacher before hand.
My students look forward to this each week and are excited and proud of how well they do. Many do not want to start at the lowest level of poem. It is always well talked about by the previous years' classes.
In this folder of .pdf documents are items like:
- a full description on how to set it up in your classroom
- a letter for parents
- a list of poems, NOT ACTUAL POEMS, because of copyright infringement. I did not get the poems online but from different kids poetry books that I have on my bookshelf.
- a recitation rubric
- a teacher tracking sheet for students poems
- a final letter for parents
- a final poetry party invitation (2 different types)
- a poetry review sheet
- extra documents