Products in this Bundle (2)
Save with this Poetry Writing, Reading and Analyzing Bundle!
Combined, the two units include 16 days of instruction! Both units can be easily combined, taught separately, or spread out through the duration of a school year.
POETRY WRITING UNIT
This unit provides students with a deep understanding of the poetry genre as they read and write poetry. In the Poetry Writing Unit (11 days), students write ten different types of poetry. (That means that there’s plenty of opportunities to excel at writing.) The individual lessons and step-by-step writing guides help students to write traditional and modern poems. In addition to writing extensively, students will study the genre, it’s vocabulary, and read and discuss more than 40 poems. This unit develops students’ understanding of poetry and increases their confidence as readers and writers.
Digital Version Included - The Poetry Writing Unit includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
Common Core State Standards
- W.3, W.5, W.6
- RL.4, RL.5, RL.6, RL.10
- L.3, L.5, L.6
In this Poetry Writing Unit, students will:
- Develop an understanding of the poetry genre
- Recognize the features of poetry
- Incorporate sensory details and figurative language into their writing
- Practice utilizing poetry skills such as rhythm, rhyming, and descriptive vocabulary
- Follow the writing process to write original poems
- Share their writing and work with others
This detailed Poetry Writing Unit includes:
- Unit Overview
- Poems at a Glance
- 11 Daily Lesson Plans
- 13 Genre-Specific Vocabulary Words
- 13 Poetic Examples of the Vocabulary Words
- Poetry Writing Ideas
- Poetry Grade Record Sheet and Rubric
- Student Poetry Writing Packet:
- * Poetry Web
- * Poetry Writing Ideas
- * Vocabulary and Example Worksheets
- * 27 Sample Poems
- * Step-by-Step Poetry Writing Guides: List Poem, Haiku, Extended Cinquain, Simile Poem, Personification Poem, Remember When Poem, Rhyme Poem, 5 Senses Poem, Concrete Poem, Free Verse Poem
* Links are provided to download sample concrete poems. Simply click the links to access the examples.
POETRY ANALYSIS UNIT
In this Poetry Analysis Unit (5 days) students will closely read five poems from diverse authors. Each poem is accompanied by four analysis tasks. After each reading, students dive deeper into the interpretation and analysis of the poem. Then, based on the work that students have done while reading and responding to the poem, they will construct a detailed analysis of the poem. The best part it that by the time students write their poem analysis, they’re armed with a strong understanding of the poem, so that their response is not only accurate but full of text examples.
This unit can easily be split into individual lessons - allowing you to teach poetry analysis five different times. Or, the unit can be taught in succession.
Common Core State Standards
- Reading Standards: 1, 2, 4, 10
- Writing Standards: 1, 10
- Speaking and Listening Standards: 1
This detailed unit includes:
- 20 close reading and analysis activities
- 5 highlighted poems (links to download)
- Detailed instructional lesson plans
- Teacher keys for all student worksheets
Poems analyzed in this unit:
- “Nothing Gold Can Stay” by Robert Frost
- “If I can stop one heart from breaking” by Emily Dickinson
- “Abandoned Farmhouse” by Ted Kooser
- “Mother to Son” by Langston Hughes
- “Oranges” by Gary Soto
* Links are provided to download the poems.
Skills developed in this unit:
- Close reading of complex texts
- Making inferences
- Determining central ideas or themes in poetry
- Interpreting figurative language
- Responding to poetry
- Citing textual evidence to support poem analysis
- Writing analyses with sufficient evidence
- Participating in discussions and expressing ideas about poetry clearly
You may also like…
- Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit Bundle - Making Inferences, Finding the Main Idea, and Making Predictions
- Memoir Study and Writing Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction