Also included in
- This ginormous ELA bundle will solve a lot of your problems. You'll never have to stay up late trolling for lesson plan ideas again. You'll just dive into this folder, choose one of the dozens of activities and projects inside, and then hit the hay. Imagine the delicious smells of your own literary$30.00$44.99Save $14.99
Poetry Slam Guide: Are you ready to see your students actually enjoying poetry? Spoken word is your ticket in. I first discovered it around midnight fifteen years ago when my students were NOT loving poetry, and it's been a total game-changer.
This packet will make it easy for you to guide your students into their own successful slams. I've included the step-by-step instructions for you to put all the activities together into a five day unit. Everything included is based on my own experience helping students successfully produce a dozen poetry slams.
- Introduction to slam
- Guide for viewing and judging striking slam clips online to help students get acquainted with spoken word
- Committee descriptions to help students plan the slam of their dreams (Themselves! So you don't have to worry about it and they have more buy in.)
- Choral reading assignment to introduce performance techniques
- Slam poem brainstorming sheet to get them started prepping their performance pieces
From the Reviews:
"This resource was an end of the year hit for my students. It was the highlight of their year. The format is perfect for scaffolding their understanding of what a poetry slam looks like as most of them have never seen one."
"A great way to make poetry more engaging and meaningful for students."
"This looks like so much fun, I'm an slp and I'm always pushing into classrooms working with students and trying to make learning fun and more creative. This activity is fabulous!"
"Can't wait to use this!"
"I have been looking for a project like this and love how you broke it down."
If you like this creative unit, I bet you'll also like my one-pagers line. Find out why thousands of teachers are using my templated one-pagers to make it easy for ALL their students to succeed with one-pagers, even the art-haters.
And if you're into free creative ELA curriculum, check out this page, where I offer a ton of great freebies and a free e-course to help you rock your independent reading program.