Also included in
- Teach poetry analysis with confidence and save 20% using these poetry mini units for all 9 poems on the 4th & 5th grade CCSS ELA Text Exemplar list. Task cards, teacher background, notes and answer keys, poem summaries, poet biography, student recording booklets, this set has it ALL and you get$25.92$40.50Save $14.58
Help students learn to analyze Emily Dickinson’s poem, “A Bird Came Down the Walk” with this mini unit task card set. This poem is on the 4th and 5th grade CCSS ELA Text Exemplar list. Students read the poem and respond to prompts on 12 task cards citing evidence from the text in their foldable booklet that prints using only 3 sheets of paper. This makes a great center activity or class lesson that can last 2.5 weeks.
DISTANCE LEARNING NOTE: While this is not a Google Classroom product, you have permission to use this product as a digital product with your students PROVIDED YOU USE THE MATERIALS BEHIND A SECURED OR PASSWORD PROTECTED SITE and materials are NOT posted directly to the Internet for others to view.
For teachers, I’ve included a brief summary of the poem, teacher tips and notes, and suggested web links to the poems online plus video or audio links so students can hear the rhythm of the poetry. Also included are “I Can” statements for Common Core 4th & 5th grade ELA ready to print and hang up on your bulletin board. In addition to the task cards, each poem has a one-page “Meet the Author” page and Acrostic Poem worksheets. These make a great extension or center activity for differentiation.
NEW: Paper saving option! A full page size PowerPoint slideshow is included so you can project the prompt and have students copy it into their recording journal.
Your purchase includes the password to my poetry analysis web link collection for these poems. I’ve found online sources for you for each poem to build background knowledge, learn about the poet's life, watch videos, listen to audio links, read the poem online, and more. Note: You are not purchasing the web links. I am allowing you to use them as a courtesy.
There's 52 pages of NO PREP materials ready to help you teach and ENJOY poetry.
Students will to cite evidence from the text in the foldable response journal to these types of questions:
• Finding new vocabulary
• Determining word and passage meaning
• Finding descriptive adjectives
• Determining mood
• Determining theme
• Determining the rhyme pattern
• Finding figurative language in the text (alliteration, simile, metaphor)
• Finding poem point of view
• Creating a new title for the poem
• Making inferences about the poem
• Finding imagery
• Citing evidence to provide descriptions
• Determining overall message and meaning
• Giving opinions
• Asking questions about what was read
• Finding descriptive language
Materials Included (PDF format):
• Student Version of the Poem - with and without line numbers
• Meet the Author
• Emily Dickinson Quote
• Poem Summary & Teacher Notes
• Website Links – online at www.mrsrenz.com
• What is Poetry
• How to Read a Poem
• Teacher Version of Task Card Questions
• Teacher Version of Task Card Questions with Answers
• Task Cards (easy on the ink in color) – Print 4 per page
• Task Card Answers – print 4 per page
• Student Folded Book with Printing Directions – color and BW
• "I Can" statements for your teaching objective wall for 4th & 5th grade CCSS-ELA
• Acrostic Poem worksheets
While this set analyzes poems on the 4th & 5th grade Common Core Text Exemplar list, it would help students in other grades learn to analyze poems.
WAIT! BEFORE PURCHASING! This set is included in the BUNDLE of 9 Task Card
You Might Like these EDITABLE Personal Spelling Dictionaries!
- Primary Grades Spelling Dictionary
- Intermediate Grades Spelling Dictionary
- BUNDLE Grades 1 - 5 Spelling Dictionaries
MORE POETRY RESOURCES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS MINI-UNIT Grades 4-5
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS MINI-UNIT Grades 2-3