This is a set of poetry analysis close reading task cards and other materials to teach the poem, “Autumn” by Emily Dickinson. This poem is on the the CCSS-ELA text exemplar list for Grades 2-3. The set gives you 15 task cards and all of the student and teacher materials to teach second and third graders to analyze poetry.
Let's face it . . . analyzing poetry is not easy, even for adults! The good news is, I've done the hard work for you and this task card set set lets you teach students to analyze (and enjoy!) the poem, "Autumn," by Emily Dickinson.
DISTANCE LEARNING NOTE: While this is not a Google Classroom product, you have permission to use this product as a digital product with your students PROVIDED YOU USE THE MATERIALS BEHIND A SECURED OR PASSWORD PROTECTED SITE and materials are NOT posted directly to the Internet for others to view. - HR Updated 4/27/2020 during Covid 19 home learning time.
Suggested uses: You can use all 17 lessons or pick and choose the ones you like. You can use this as a literature center activity, independent packet, or use it in your guided reading instruction groups to teach close reading.
Your purchase includes the password to my poetry analysis web link collection for these poems. I’ve found online sources for you for each poem to build background knowledge, learn about the poet's life, watch videos, listen to audio links, read the poem online, and more.
• Practicing oral poem reading
• Determining meaning of words
• Determining meaning of phrases
• Determining the poet’s intentions
• Looking at figurative language / personification
• Looking at rhyming words
• Looking at rhythm and flow
• Determining point of view
• Drawing the setting
• Determining the speaker
• Making Inferences
• Looking for descriptive words
• Looking at visualizing
• Determining the main idea or central message
• Determining mood or tone
• Connecting with the poem
• Giving opinions
• Quoting from the text as evidence
The set includes 71 pages of PDF materials:
• 17 poetry task cards (color and BW)
• Student recording worksheets for the 17 lessons (BW)
• Student packet journal covers (color and BW)
• All answer keys in detailed language to help you teach students
• "Autumn" poem teacher summary and poetry analysis summary
• Website Links on www.mrsrenz.com to help you prepare and teach this poem
• Meet the Author Emily Dickinson Brief Biography - get to know the author (color)
• Student copy of the poem (color and BW)
• Rhyme Scheme of "Autumn" poster (color)
• Teacher overview of the lessons for your teacher binder
• What is Poetry? (color poster)
• How to Read a Poem (color poster)
• CCSS ELA Reading Literature Standards for your teacher binder
Be sure to follow me on TpT to get new products 50% off for the first 24 hours!
Enjoy teaching poetry!
You Might Like these EDITABLE Personal Spelling Dictionaries!
- Primary Grades Spelling Dictionary
- Intermediate Grades Spelling Dictionary
- BUNDLE Grades 1 - 5 Spelling Dictionaries
MORE POETRY RESOURCES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS & MORE: Grades 2-3
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS & MORE: Grades 4-5