Also included in
- Teach poetry analysis with confidence and save 20% using these poetry mini units for all 9 poems on the 4th & 5th grade CCSS ELA Text Exemplar list. Task cards, teacher background, notes and answer keys, poem summaries, poet biography, student recording booklets, this set has it ALL and you get$25.92$40.50Save $14.58
You will analyze with confidence Emma Lazarus' poem, "The New Colossus using this great task card set (and so much more).
There's lots of materials included in this set to help teachers quickly understand and teach students to enjoy the language of poetry.
DISTANCE LEARNING NOTE: While this is not a Google Classroom product, you have permission to use this product as a digital product with your students PROVIDED YOU USE THE MATERIALS BEHIND A SECURED OR PASSWORD PROTECTED SITE and materials are NOT posted directly to the Internet for others to view. - HR Updated 4/27/2020 during Covid 19 home learning time.
For teachers, you'll get a brief summary of the poem to help you understand the poem quickly, teacher tips and notes, and suggested web links to the poems online plus video or audio links so students can hear the rhythm of the poetry.
This poem is on the 4th and 5th grade CCSS ELA Text Exemplar list. Students read the poem and respond to prompts on 12 task cards citing evidence from the text in their foldable booklet that prints using only 3 sheets of paper. This makes a great center activity or class lesson.
Also included are “I Can” statements for Common Core 4th & 5th grade ELA ready to print and hang up on your bulletin board. In addition to the task cards, each poem has a one-page “Meet the Author” page and Acrostic Poem worksheets. These make a great extension or center activity for differentiation.
Your purchase includes the password to my poetry analysis web link collection for these poems. I’ve found online sources for you for each poem to build background knowledge, learn about the poet's life, watch videos, listen to audio links, read the poem online, and more.
There's 47 pages of NO PREP materials ready to help you teach and ENJOY poetry.
Students will to cite evidence from the text in their response to these types of questions:
• Finding new vocabulary
• Determining word and passage meaning
• Determining mood
• Determining the setting
• Determining the rhyme scheme
• Determining personification
• Finding author’s point of view
• Making inferences about the poem
• Text to world connections
• Citing evidence to provide descriptions
• Determining overall message and meaning
• Giving opinions
• Finding descriptive language
Materials Included (PDF format):
• Meet the Author
• Student Copy of the Poem
• Poem Title/Image for Centers
• Poem Summary & Teacher Notes
• Poem Vocabulary List
• Website Links on www.mrsrenz.com to help you prepare to teach this poem
• What is Poetry
• How to Read a Poem
• "I Can" Statement Wall Posters for 4th & 5th CCSS ELA
• Task Car Questions List
• Teacher Version of Task Card Questions with Sample Answers
• Task Cards (easy on the ink in color) – Print 4 per page
• Task Card Answers – print 4 per page
• Student Foldable Book with Printing Directions – color & BW
• Acrostic Poem worksheets – 3 pages (great for challenge or extension)
While this set analyzes poems on the 4th and 5th grade Common Core Text Exemplar list, it would help students in other grades learn to analyze poems.
WAIT! BEFORE PURCHASING!This set is included in the BUNDLE of 9 Task Card
---> Click the green preview button to see all of the materials in this great set!
You Might Like these EDITABLE Personal Spelling Dictionaries!
- Primary Grades Spelling Dictionary
- Intermediate Grades Spelling Dictionary
- BUNDLE Grades 1 - 5 Spelling Dictionaries
MORE POETRY RESOURCES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS MINI UNITS Grades 4-5
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS MINI UNITS Grades 2-3