Poetry Unit - 2nd Grade
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This comprehensive Creative Writing Combo Pack has 10 + weeks over of engaging lesson plans to make writing poetry, personal narratives, and fiction narratives fun. Language, writing, and reading common core standards are integrated throughout each unit. Not Your Grade Level? Check outThird GradPrice $32.20Original Price $40.25Save $8.05
Looking for a way to help students learn to read and write poetry? This 2nd grade poetry unit has everything you need to make poems exciting any time of the year.
Your students will quickly dive into the poetry standards and get excited about reading and writing poetry. The unit includes over 300 pages of resources for you and your students to use any time throughout the school year.
- 26+ days of poetry lesson plans on 2nd grade reading and writing standards. Additional lessons are provided to extend your lessons as students grow in their understanding of the elements of poetry.
- 18 Original poems to use with the lessons. A book list of published poems is also provided to use with lessons.
- Print and Digital Student Handbook with the handouts and poetry guides needed in the lessons.
- Variety of Assessments
- Choice Board
- Unit Test
- Poetry Portfolio Publishing pages and Rubric (Digital and Print Versions)
- Poetry Celebration Guidelines - A guide for sharing poetry with family members.
- Appendix with Poems, and Additional Lessons. These lessons cover poetry elements of
- Explicit Information, Implicit Information,
- Point of View,
- Hyperbole, and
- Figurative Language
- Poetry Close Read for ANY Poem - This guide is great for independent work and to add to your literacy center or station.
- Poetry Bookmarks are provided as rewards and motivation to enjoy reading and writing poems.
- Poetry Vocabulary Posters and Anchor Charts come in black and white and full color. This allows for you to have them posted in the classroom or added to student notebooks.
- Elements of Poetry Flipbook
- Essential Question and I Can Statement Posters will guide your lessons and learning targets as you teach the poetry unit.
- The Poetry Choice Board will give your students an opportunity to demonstrate understanding of the standards taught.
Going Digital? The Google Slide Student Handbook, Digital Poetry Vocabulary Book, and a Digital Poetry Portfolio are provided to easily upload to Google Classroom. Links to these are provided on the PDF labeled “Links to Google.” These will make copies for you to add to your Google files.
You will love that you can teach these lessons together as a unit or use them as stand alone lessons.
Reading Poetry Lesson Plans:
Comparing and Contrasting
Using Illustrations to find meaning
Writing Poetry Lesson Plans:
Free Verse Poems
This will be a go-to resource year after year to get kids excited about reading and writing poems.
Check out the PREVIEW for a full list of lessons, photos, and additional lessons provided in this unit.
Follow me for more tips and ideas. Click the follow button at the top of the page!
Bundle and SAVE with the Second Grade Writer's Workshop Bundle.
Looking for more poetry? Check these Poetry Literacy Centers.
Not Your Grade Level? Check out the
Other Products You Might Enjoy
Classroom Management Book and Planner
Writing Guides and Graphic Organizers
Rocks and Minerals Vocabulary Games and Wall Display
Please note that poems written by other authors are suggested but are not provided in the unit as this will violate their copyright terms.
Copyright © Jessica Zannini. All rights reserved by the author. This product is for the original downloader only. Duplication for an entire school, school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. This product is intended for classroom and personal use ONLY. Clip-art and font credits are provided in the product file.