This poetry unit was written to be taught as mini lessons for reading and writing workshop. Each lesson should take about 15 minutes. There are ten reading workshop mini-lessons and ten writing workshop lessons, so the unit should last about two weeks if done five times per week. The reading and writing mini lessons are meant to coincide, so can be done on the same day.
Additional materials needed to use the unit:
chart paper and sharpies
various poetry books
This is not a complete comprehensive poetry unit, but introduces the students to:
- different types of poems (both reading and writing them)
- figurative language - including simile, metaphor, hyperbole, onomatopoeia, alliteration, personification
- the structure of different poems
- syllables and poetic rhythm
- syllables and meanings in poems
- word choice in poems
The unit is aligned to CCSS for grades 4-6. However, grade 3 could complete the unit with a few alterations.
Please view the preview file for more details.
For task cards that you can use along with the poetry unit, click the link below:
Thanks and I hope this unit is beneficial to you.
Click the links below to see more of my reading and writing units: