Poetry Unit- This is a unique poetry unit I created to get students interested and excited about poetry. The unit begins by asking students to find and turn their favorite song lyrics into a poem.
From there, through a guided PowerPoint or Keynote and various activities, students learn:
-How to read poems
-About a poet’s tools
-How to gain meaning from poems
-How to write different forms of poetry
Included (all in editable formats and in PDF format):
1. A teacher guide- Poetry Unit Outline, Lesson Notes, and Activities
2. A document with poetry definitions- easy to print and hang on a bulletin board or around your room during the unit.
3. A PowerPoint version (3a) and Keynote version(3b) (Keynote is for Macs) to show your class- it matches and flows with the teacher guide. Cue for activities and the quiz included on PowerPoint/Keynote. * I also included this in PDF form if you don’t want to use the above versions.
4. Activity worksheet- “How to read and get meaning from Poetry” guide
5. Activity worksheet- Lyric, Narrative, or Descriptive (Answer Key included)
6. Activity worksheet- Poem Meaning Paper (to be done at the end of the unit-goes with the initial activity of students finding their favorite lyrics and turning them into a poem or can be used for any poem)
7. Quiz- On Poetry Vocab. (Answer Key included)