Want to motivate your students to read and write poetry?
This 29-day poetry unit includes everything you need to teach a reading and writing poetry workshop! (8 additional review lessons are included as well). The 275 + page document has over 90 pages of lessons and assessments and a 58 page student handbook. In addition posters of Essential Questions, I Can Statements, and a Vocabulary Word Wall are provided in this unit.
This poetry unit aligned with fourth and fifth grade Common Core Standards includes:
1. 29-day Unit Plan (Standards for each grade level are listed on each lesson)
Reading Lessons: verse, meter, similes, metaphors, personification, hyperboles, explicit information, implicit information, alliteration, rhyme scheme, main idea, author's purpose, theme, mood, research, adjectives, adverbs, rhyming, using a rhyming dictionary, rhythm, beats, syllables, comparing and contrasting, and point of view
Writing Lessons: haiku, diamante, cinquain, bio poem, free verse, shape, and acrostic.
2. A 58-page Student Handbook that gives visuals for all lessons, handouts, and poetry templates.
3. Rubrics for Research Poem, Unit Portfolio, and Poetry Choice Board.
4. Poetry Choice Board Activity
5. Poems written by Jessica Zannini
6. Letter and evaluation for sharing poetry portfolios with parents.
7. Quizzes and Unit Test
8. Essential Question Posters
9. I Can Statement Posters
10. Vocabulary Word Wall Display
11. Suggested Book/Author/Website List
12. 8 Additional Review Lesson on previously taught standards
13. Appendix added with a Poetry Close Read and Poetry Anchor Charts
BUNDLE AND SAVE
with the Fourth and Fifth Grade Creative Writing Bundle
. Have your writing and language mini-lessons planned for an ENTIRE SEMESTER.
Other Products You Might Enjoy
Perimeter, Area, and Volume Posters, Practice, and Assessments
September A Poem Each Week
Poetry Literacy Centers for the Year
Connect with Me
Want to learn more about teaching writing? You can follow me at:
Notes From the Portable
Copyright © Jessica Zannini. All rights reserved by the author. This product is for the original downloader only. Duplication for an entire school, school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. This product is intended for classroom and personal use ONLY. Clip-art and font credits are provided in the product file.