Products in this Bundle (5)
When poetry is taught in relevant and engaging ways, you will find that your students get genuinely excited about writing it! The poetry mini-lessons included in this bundle are all about your students- their passions, interests, fears, hopes, and dreams. They give your students a podium to stand on to share their opinions, make others laugh, and to make an impact in the classroom and beyond.
Included in this bundle is also my favorite unit titled, "Mind Mansion Poetry Project" that engages students in higher-order thinking and creative writing. During this one month unit, students will demonstrate their knowledge of types of poetry, figurative language, and poetic devices through the creation of at least six different poems. They will be required to analyze their own use of figurative language and the types of poetry that they are using within their project!
The poetry mini-lessons include:
- Teacher Directions for facilitating the writing of 4 different poems that highlight student interests and engage students of all backgrounds
- Writing lessons that focus on the use of sensory details, specific nouns, descriptive adjectives, strong verbs, and powerful adverbs
- Grammar mini-lesson extensions
- Graphic organizers created on half-sheets to make handouts simple
The grammar mini-lessons include:
- Teacher Directions for facilitating an interactive, authentic analysis of poetry. The directions follow five research-based steps:
- Notice & Note
- Categorize (half sheet graphic organizer included)
- Focuses on proper verb usage
- Optional extensions for differentiating the lesson
- Graphic organizer included on half-sheets to make handouts simple
The project includes:
- Mind Mansion Project Overview: Contains step by step instructions for conducting the poetry project. This product describes how to guide students in making a mind mansion.
- A PowerPoint (and PDF) of example “Mind Mansion Projects”
- Rubric included for easy grading
- A student handout and poster set of the 5 steps of the writing process
- A color-coding system for the parts of speech
Additional resources you might be interested in:
Want a free resource each month? Follow my TPT store to have a freebie sent to your inbox each month! :)
©Read and Write Like It Matters