Get your students writing poetry with this creative and easy to implement Three Week Poetry Unit!
Students write many different types of poetry, analyze poetry by learning poetic devices and terms, take a quiz, and do presentations.
In addition to lesson plans and a student portfolio, I’ve included the following products at no extra charge:
Writing Poetry Packet
- Guides students through writing 20 different poems. Swap any of these for the poems in the unit plan to fit your needs!
Analyzing Poetry Packet
- Most of this packet is in the unit plan, but it’s addition adds several pages of additional sample poems and a different presentation to use as an option.
The zip file includes three EDITABLE
Word documents so they can be adjusted for your classroom needs!
The Zip File contains the following:
• Student Portfolio Packet
– 25 page student packet including unit calendar, portfolio assignment, instructions and examples for students to write 11 different types of poetry, students define poetry, study poetry terms, analyze poetry, write a formal poem analysis, learn how to break lines in poetry, work on titling poems, explore open mics and publishing opportunities and complete a unit reflection. Through this packet, students write the following types of poetry: Poetry Definition Poem, Anti-Definition Poem, Picture Poems, Haiku, 2-Line Poems, Found Poem, Condensed Poem, Title Poem, Prose Poem, Memory Poem, Persona Poem and Bio Poem.
• Poetry Unit Lesson Plans
– 15 unique lesson plans for easy implementation. Lessons are low prep and easy to implement using the Reader’s Writer’s Workshop format. Lesson plan format includes a mini-lesson, student independent work time and closing. Each lesson also clearly lays out materials needed and homework assignments. An IF/THEN chart is included in each lesson to help differentiate and direct students during Independent Work Time.
• Writing Poetry Packet
–Students are led through the process of writing 20 different types of poetry including Definition/Anit-Definition Poem, Haiku, Found Poems, 2-Line Poems, Condensed Poetry, Prose Poetry, Memory Poems, Persona Poems, Bio Poems, Title Poems and NINE different poems inspired by famous poets including Emily Dickinson, Langston Hughes, Sandra Cisneros, William Carlos Williams, Shel Silverstein, Lucille Clifton, Edward Lear and Walt Whitman.
• Analyzing Poetry Packet
– Students define poetry terms, apply them by writing mini-poems demonstrating each term, learn 11 steps to the traditional way to analyze a poem, study and analyze a variety of sample poems and take a quiz to apply their learning (answer key provided).
• Editable Poetry Portfolio Assignment
–Provides guidelines and a scoring guide for a student-created poetry portfolio. This is a perfect conclusion to the poetry unit and can be edited to fit your needs!
• Editable Poetry Quiz
– Students study poetry terms in their packet and take a quiz in which they apply and demonstrate their learning. An answer key is provided! I’ve included this as an editable Word document so teachers can make adjustments as desired.
• Editable Student Calendar and Portfolio Page
– I’ve included the student calendar and portfolio requirements (also included in the Student Portfolio Packet) as word documents so teachers can make adjustments as needed!
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and products:
• Look for the green star next to my profile picture and click it to become a follower. You’ll receive updates when I post products, freebies and discounts.
Please contact me with questions and visit my store for additional teaching materials: Love and Let Lit
Check out some of my other resources by clicking the links below:
Expository Essay Writing Unit
Romeo and Juliet Reading Guide Bundle
To Kill a Mockingbird Unit
Created By: Jacque Decker of Love and Let Lit